Where to buy the XL1S - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Closed Thread

Old May 14th, 2002, 06:58 PM   #16
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

To a great extent the practicality of such a scheme depends on whether you are a professional or a hobbbyist. That is, will you be relying on this camera to meet contractual obligations?

In general, I think that the Japanese camera plan is shaky regardless of your plans. But it's rediculous if you are a pro.

Just my 2 cents.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Old May 15th, 2002, 10:07 AM   #17
Air China Pilot

I would use the XL1s mostly to shoot short films mostly as I don't think I would ever work myself up to using it professionally.

Are you saying that a professional would probably need to use the warranty and wouldn't skimp on the price to begin with? Is that the 'shaky' part of the plan?
Old May 15th, 2002, 10:35 AM   #18
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Yes. For professional applications I would suggest just getting the best price you can within Canada and biting the bullet on the exchange rate. Losing a lucrative job or, worse, getting hauled into court for breach of contract (because your XL1s was somewhere in a Japanese repair shop) would make the price differences look paltry.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Old May 15th, 2002, 10:41 AM   #19
Air China Pilot

Right. That is sensible advice.

I'm leaning more toward getting the best price I can in North America based upon the reaction I've received on this and other boards. Especially being new to this type of equipment I would want warranty protection.

I'm more used to computer hardware where if something isn't working I usually just throw it out and get a replacement.
Old May 15th, 2002, 12:30 PM   #20
Machinist Mate

I think I would be more upset if I were a hobbyist and something happened and the warranty was no good. At least as a pro, there is a good likelihood that the equipment will have paid for itself by the time any trouble occurs. I bought my XL used (no warranty, obviously) and it has made me a fist full of dollars, and if something happened to it now, I'd grit my teeth and buy another XL in a heartbeat, now that I know how much I use it. Probably would buy from an out-of-state dealer like B&H Photo (they're good) or one of Chris' supporting dealers. Very doubtful any of my local shops stock it, so we are forced to order it anyway, and if I buy from somebody in my home state I get stuck paying 6% sales tax.
Old May 16th, 2002, 09:51 AM   #21
Obstreperous Rex

About the Japan option, you've noticed that shipping for the initial purchase as well as for maintenance will be expensive and time consuming. You also need to consider that the very extensive internal menu system in the XL1S will be entirely in Japanese, which will represent a serious compromise in your ability to utilize the camera to its full capabilities. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old May 16th, 2002, 10:20 AM   #22
Air China Pilot

Right. I had searched around previously to see if this was configurable or could be somehow updated in English assuming that it was software but couldn't find any answers. If this is the case then I would not be going for the Japanese option. Thanks for the warning.
Old May 16th, 2002, 10:31 AM   #23
Obstreperous Rex

It probably *can* be changed from Japanese to English, but *how* is a completely different question for which I've never heard an answer.

Old May 24th, 2002, 12:47 AM   #24
Mr.Cisco

Cha-Ching

Just bought the US version, full fit, NTSC for $3299.99 yesterday.

Talked to the store manager, Billy and confirmed it was US/ full kit.

I was looking at $3650 at B&H. With the money saved, I went for the MACK 4yr warranty for $399.00. This warranty is not on the site, only on the phone. You'll find the $299 version of it online. The extra $100 gets you a "no fault/idiot" version. Meaning if you drop it, it's fixed. Only cost is shipping to Allstar, they pay for the shipping back to you.

Normally I never touch extended warraties (cars, eletronics, etc.) but what the hell, I'm rolling the dice.

Last edited by Chris Hurd; May 24th, 2002 at 06:23 AM.

Old May 24th, 2002, 10:20 AM   #25
Air China Pilot

The extended warranty, especially the idiot proof one is definitely something I would get.

Let me know how your camera arrives as I'm interested in the reliability of this vendor.

I'm saving up to afford a North American price.

EDIT: I found the site you were referring to.
Old May 28th, 2002, 06:33 PM   #26
Mr.Cisco

<<<-- Originally posted by Airchinapilot : The extended warranty, especially the idiot proof one is definitely something I would get.

Let me know how your camera arrives as I'm interested in the reliability of this vendor.

I'm saving up to afford a North American price.

EDIT: I found the site you were referring to. -->>>

It arrived in perfect condition and at a very attractive price.

Old May 28th, 2002, 06:48 PM   #27
Obstreperous Rex

Glad to hear this worked out; but please take any further discussion to private e-mail. On this board, we discuss the dealers who help sponsor the site, making it available for you to use. In fairness to them, I must ask that discussions of other vendors who do *not* support what we do here, be taken to private e-mail. Thanks for your cooperation,

Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog