DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   XL1s MA200 for TFT Monitor (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/22071-xl1s-ma200-tft-monitor.html)

Alexis Vazquez February 27th, 2004 02:04 PM

XL1s MA200 for TFT Monitor

I'm using the TFT Audio thing also for hanging the 5.5" TFT Monitor
I found it very useful when in tripod mode.
Take a look, let me know what you think.

http://www.audiovisuallab.com/xl1s.htm

G. Randy Brown February 29th, 2004 09:56 AM

Is that the Nebtek50XL per chance?
TIA,
Randy
Edit: on closer inspection I can see that it's not, but I wonder if anyone can tell me if the Nebtek50XL will mount to the MA 200 without a shoe mount.
TIA,
Randy

Alexis Vazquez February 29th, 2004 10:45 AM

It is the NebTek50XL. It does not mount on the MA200. I made a special adapter for it. Thats why a post the pics. It looks like an identical part of the MA 200, but its not.

G. Randy Brown February 29th, 2004 10:50 AM

Will you elaborate on how you made it? I mean did you go down to the local salvage yard, buy some plate steel, cut to shape, drill holes, paint, etc or did you modify something pre-existing?
TIA,
Randy

Alexis Vazquez February 29th, 2004 11:26 AM

Randy:

Take a look at the original plate (the one that looks like an "L")
well, thats exactly what you need but with the space inverted (there goes the battery), the angle is also modified so it stays in a 90 degrees. I went to a machine shop. Its easier for them.

Im gonna try to load a pic of it alone.

AV

G. Randy Brown February 29th, 2004 12:39 PM

That would be great Alexis or just e-mail me a jpeg.
Thanks again,
Randy

G. Randy Brown February 29th, 2004 12:49 PM

Actually after studying the pics a little more I think I got it but I can't see how you attach the Nebtek to the L shaped plate...screws? The back of the Nebtek50XL (with the battery attachment in place) appears to only have some kind of slot in it...no place to screw in to. Of coarse it's hard to tell by just looking at the Nebtek website photos.
TIA,
Randy

Alexis Vazquez February 29th, 2004 01:55 PM

Randy
When I came with this idea I ask the guy from the machine shop to build something similar to the original pieces that came with tha MA200 (I think its for the dual battery adapter) I mean that little thing that goes in the slot, --I call that the male part-- so he build it.

I also saw something similar at RadioShack that comes to mount DVDs for cars. I think you can use it with the original plate, the only thing here is that the monitor is not going to be at 90 degrees .

The Monitor has that slot --wich I call the fem part-- with that male part --the one from Radio Shack--attached to the plate (I recomend to use screws not onle the adhesive tape it comes with) it will do the job. The reason I build it was to mantain the monitor at 90o.

I'm now thinking a way to design one with two or more pieces so that you can change the position of it. Remember that whith this kind of monitors you can't get a nice view when you're not exactly in front of it.

AV

Chris Hurd February 29th, 2004 02:14 PM

Alexis -- please email the images to me. I'll host 'em from the XL1 Watchdog site for all to see. Actually if you're willing to write a short how-to article on this, I'd love to add it to the XL1 Watchdog's articles library. You've done some excellent work there. Thanks,

Alexis Vazquez February 29th, 2004 02:33 PM

Thanks for your comments Chris. I will send them to you.

AV

G. Randy Brown February 29th, 2004 02:39 PM

Alexis,
You inspired me enough to jack around and find an excellent solution with hardly any modification:
Using the plate as is, take (unscrew) everything off. Screw the attachment with the double "knobs" on it, horizontally in the middle left (small) threads. Now you can mount it with a shoe mount (or anything with a shoe mount) to that and swivel your monitor anywhere you want it...works great here.
Randy

Alexis Vazquez February 29th, 2004 02:51 PM

LOL Send a pic. I'll love to see it!

Be carefull if you are working with the original plate, If you damage it I'm not sure Canon sells it alone. Thats why I went to the Machine Shop.

Luck

AV

Chris Hurd February 29th, 2004 02:59 PM

Randy, please email a copy of your pic to me so I can post it for others to look at. Well done -- thanks!

G. Randy Brown February 29th, 2004 03:36 PM

Chris, you've got mail (with .JPGs) : )
Randy

James Emory February 29th, 2004 05:03 PM

Video Output Location?

Hello Alexis. I noticed that the RCA video output is at the bottom of the row instead of at the top like on an XL-1. Is your camera an XL-1 or XL-1s? If it's an s model, why do you think they changed the location of the jack?