Is it my XL1s, my 1.6 extender, or just me?! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 4th, 2004, 05:09 PM   #1
Major Player

Is it my XL1s, my 1.6 extender, or just me?!

Hey all,
Only with my extender attached do I get a very soft image when zooming out. Any thoughts?
TIA,
Randy
G. Randy Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2004, 07:29 PM   #2
New Boot

G. Randy

An extender is an attachment to a lens that magnifies the original focal length intended for the lens and the results in terms of a quality image will never be satisfactory for the discriminating eye. I shoot football on a regular basis with my 1D and a 300mm lens (stills) and would like to get a 1.4 extender to get in closer but I do not want to loose clarity or sharpness of the image due to magnification so I just wait for the subject to come closer. I feel an extender is an inexpensive alternative to a longer lens and you end up getting what you pay for and I do not intend to ever use one with my XL1s. I do not know what you use the extender for but if you can somehow get closer and drop the extender you will be much happier with your image and you will be filled with gratification knowing you found a way to get closer with out your subject knowing.

Gary
Gary Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2004, 08:22 PM   #3
Major Player

>>>I feel an extender is an inexpensive alternative to a longer lens and you end up getting what you pay for<<<
Hmm, I paid $354 for it at B&H....not cheap.... for me anyway. Also, I don't recall having this problem before.
Randy
Old March 5th, 2004, 06:35 AM   #4
Warden

If you've eliminated all the other possibilities, then it probably is the extender. It magnifies the image, but it also magnifies any defects the lens has too.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2004, 12:42 PM   #5
Trustee

G. Randy. I have been useing the 1.6 extender on the XL-1 and now the XL-1s since 1998 and never had a problem with it. Although I must say I usually do not zoom through it. I have used it on the 16x servo and 14x manual with great results. I have used it for wildlife and birding trips. I have also used it with 1,2, 4 diopters for magnificant closeups of insects. One thing I was told by a sales rep in Atlanta, that you may or may not have heard about. When mounting it on the lens. Make sure the Canon is in the OFF mode, then attach the 1.6x to the lens FIRST and then attach the lens and extender to the body. I do not know why, but the rep told me it had to do with the way the camcorder reads the electrical information from the lens. I do not know, but my images are great. You might want to try it. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2004, 08:18 PM   #6
Major Player

>>"If you've eliminated all the other possibilities, then it probably is the extender. It magnifies the image, but it also magnifies any defects the lens has too.<<"

What I was doing was maually focusing on a tight image and then zooming out slowly; when the image became too soft I would re-focus (looked good) but then when pulling out again it would become soft again...FWIW

>>"Make sure the Canon is in the OFF mode, then attach the 1.6x to the lens FIRST and then attach the lens and extender to the body. I do not know why, but the rep told me it had to do with the way the camcorder reads the electrical information from the lens. I do not know, but my images are great. You might want to try it.<<"

I will try that procedure Bob, and thank you for the reply, but considering the camera is in the off mode I just can't see what difference it would make.
Thanks again guys,
Randy
Old March 6th, 2004, 02:50 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I have seen the same problem when using my XL1s with the extender, but unfortunately I never did figure out what the problem was. It happened to me twice when I was shooting in cold weather (0 - 10 degrees farenheit). Out of spec - I know. Usually this was no problem. Last time it happened I removed the lense and extender and cleaned the contacts on the extender. When I reassembled it, everything was fine. This could have been due to condensation(I was getting in and out of a vehicle). Maybe try cleaning the contacts. It sounds like your problem is constant. Mine has only been intermittant and is working alright now.
Old March 8th, 2004, 09:29 AM   #8
Major Player

Thanks Nature Boy, I'll try that.
Randy
Old April 28th, 2004, 09:28 PM   #9
Major Player

just once more

Well, it's been a while since I've used the extender but after taking Phil's advice I noticed it still has the problem. However upon closer inspection I've noticed this XL1s doesn't hold focus even without the extender (fully manual, zoom tight, focus, pull out, zoom back in and it's softer) so I thought I'd check here one more time before I ship it for service. FWIW, my other XL1s doesn't do this.
Thanks,
Randy
Old April 28th, 2004, 11:50 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Sounds like a back focus issue. Is this the 16x servo lens or one of the manual lenses you are using?
If it is one of the manual lenses then you might try refocusing the back focus. If its the 16x servo, sounds like it needs a vacation at Canon.
Jonathan Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2004, 06:42 AM   #11
Major Player

It's the 16x servo lens. Well I was pretty much expecting it would need service (especially since the 2nd one doesn't behave this way) but just wanted a final opinion. Thanks very much Jonathan. Fortunately, it is covered with a Mack extended warranty, anyone ever have any trouble with them?
Randy
Old April 29th, 2004, 07:12 AM   #12
New Boot

This is all very interesting stuff to me as a newbie.

I was about to buy the extender as I have done a couple of test runs filming some polo matches (for a new venture!) without having the extender - using the standard lens that came with our XL1s, and found two things. Firstly, we really need slightly more zoom, and secondly I found because of the nature of the game - it's not possible to zoom out to a fixed point and then back again because the zooming requirements are constantly changing. I found even without the extender that I was losing focus. I was using the camera's basic shooting option (easy recording)

My questions are:
1) Can someone please recommend the best setting for this sort of work - Auto/Manual/TV or ? and with whichever is best, what further settings need to be tried or adjusted?

2) Will it be a waste of money buying the extender.

3) Should we be looking at one of the manual lenses available? or buying the adaptor and fitting another type of Canon zoom lens?

Any help and guidance would be greatly apprecieted
TIA
John
John C. Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2004, 10:02 AM   #13
Major Player

1) Can someone please recommend the best setting for this sort of work - Auto/Manual/TV or ? and with whichever is best, what further settings need to be tried or adjusted?

I think anyone here will tell you manual and to never, ever use the 'easy" mode.

2) Will it be a waste of money buying the extender.

The extender works great on both of my XL1s' it just magnified the focus problem I have with one and need to have adjusted.

3) Should we be looking at one of the manual lenses available? or buying the adaptor and fitting another type of Canon zoom lens?

If you are shooting in easy mode I think your first step is to learn the camera's capabilities in manual mode (read the manual and do searches here), you may learn the stock lens is all you'll ever need (other than maybe the extender for the polo matches).
Randy
Old May 2nd, 2004, 11:19 AM   #14
Regular Crew

See my response to a similar post

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=25349
Norman Woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2004, 02:23 AM   #15
New Boot

Thanks to both of you for your help - Well, back to the learning curve I think!!!!....
John C. Morton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog