XL1S Mic Connector at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old October 26th, 2001, 03:50 PM   #1
Major Player

XL1S Mic Connector

I am about ready to order an XL1S but need to know if the BeachTek DXA-4S adapter that I use with my Sony camera will work with the Canon. Output on this adapter is a stereo mini plug , but drawings on page 18 of the XL1S User's Manual seem to show the mic connector as having two male plugs. Are they both mic lines or is one power and the other stereo mic. I think the BeachTek adapter designed for this camera uses RCA plugs, but I could be mistaken on that.

Can anyone verify that the DXA-4S will work?

Thanks,
Ed
Ed Frazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2001, 04:37 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

XL1 mic input: the smaller one is power and the larger one is stereo audio.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2001, 10:06 PM   #3
pjssssss

I can't swear to it, but I think they are different. I know
Elite Video shows 2 different ones in their catalog.
I have one that does work with the XL1
Old February 17th, 2002, 08:24 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Ed,

I hope you notice my reply to your old, old post. I am having the same problem now.. There is a guy selling the Beachtek XLR Adapter on ebay, but the photo shows a stereo mini plug (Sony?) and not the RCA (XL-1?) Beachtek shows on its website.

Are you using your Sony Adapter with your XL1 now? Do you plug it into the plug of the onboard mic or do you use an adapter, plugging it into the RCA at the rear of the camera?

Cheers, Peter
Peter Koller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2002, 09:07 AM   #5
Major Player

That was awhile back!

Hi Peter,

I contacted Beachtek and was told that the Sony and Canon adapters use the same camera mount and electronically they are the same. The only real difference is the audio connector. It works fine with the XL1S when plugged into the mic jack. You could also get a mini-plug->RCA adaper and connect to Audio 1 or 2 ports.

As a side note, I purchased the MA200 with my camera and was disappointed to learn that you cannot input line levels to the XLR connectors, only mic levels. I often use line level output from a mixer and connect directly to the RCA jacks, bypassing the MA200. When balanced line levels are necessary, I'll use the Beachtek since it can accept both line and mic levels.
Old February 17th, 2002, 09:45 AM   #6
Wrangler

It is easy to build a pad (attenuator) in a balanced line to take the typical +4 dBU down to around -35 dBV or so for a MA-100/200. And it would all fit in a XLR shell. You can buy premade pads in XLR shells from folks like Shure. Any you probably can buy pre-made -40 dB cables (although I do not have a pointer to a specific product for you.)
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2002, 10:07 AM   #7
Major Player

If you decide to run line levels (or attenuated line levels) into the MA-100/MA-200, do some empirical checking beforehand. See the earlier string labeled "MA-100 Sound Balance" in the XL-1 forum.

It's quite possible to do this, but you can easily put the adapters into hard limit if you're not careful.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog