DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   cheap directional mic (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/2253-cheap-directional-mic.html)

Dylan Couper June 1st, 2002 03:58 PM

cheap directional mic

Could someone reccomend a modestly priced (read: cheap) directional microphone that will can be used on a boom as well as mounted on the camera? I don't have an XLR adapter yet, and probably won't for a few months.
I know you get what you pay for, and I intend to upgrade in the future, but in the meantime, what would fill my need?

Also, by comparison, how good/bad is the stock mic?

Thanks!

Don Palomaki June 2nd, 2002 09:06 AM

The XL1 stocl mic is a good mic, as stock single point stereo mics go. But you really need to get the mic near the talent, not the camcorder. Check the Sennheriser MKE300. Well under 200 for a short shotgun. Unbalanced, mono, powered by a watch battery. Roll off below 200 Hz. (Mainly a higher end consumer/prosumer market product.)

For real cheap (ynder $100) yocan find some Azden and AT products ar you neighborhood consumer electronics super store. ALso, check the uued market on the web.

Dylan Couper June 3rd, 2002 11:28 AM

I plan on having a mic on a boom whenever I can sucker someone into volunteering. :)
However, I know a lot of the time I will have to use it mounted on the camera. I do have a wireless lavalier mic for dialogue and such.

I was thinking about an Azden ECZ-990, which is $80 or so, but I will definitely consider the MKE300 since it's also within my budget.

How does it compare to the Azden SGM-1X for about the same price? (which I would need an XLR adapter for).

Don Palomaki June 4th, 2002 03:09 PM

The SGM-1X is probably a bit better than the MKE300. The MKE300 is mono with a 3.5mm mini-phone, unbalanced connector on it.

If your budget will support mics in the $150 to $200 range, I would say to skip the under $100 stuff.

John Klein June 5th, 2002 03:35 PM

Are these mics with miniplugs set to go into the mic jack?

Are all mics w/ miniplugs "matched" for use with a cam like the xl1? What kind of spec should we look for to make sure it's ok for use with either the mic jack or xlr?

Is a mic that uses a little battery akin to being phantom powered? I assume the xl1 doesn't have phantom power so I'd need one with a battery?

Don Palomaki June 6th, 2002 03:47 PM

Look for a mic that is rated for 600 ohms or lower. You probably can get buy if it is rated up to about 1000 ohms.

The mics with mini plugs should work, subject to the above note about impedance. They shoudl also say they are for camcordes. But do not expect a $50 mic to sound as good as the GL1 internal mic if both mics are at the same location relative to the sound source.

The battery for the mic takes the place of phantom power, but it is not the same. The better battery powered mics usually use a AA battery and alternatively can use phantom power.

(Standard phantom power is 48 volts DC, and is current limited to a few ma or so.)

John Klein June 8th, 2002 10:14 AM

Thanks Don

It never occurred to me that another mic could jack in to the xl1. I assumed that the specialized plug meant that only the stock mic would make it in.

Dylan Couper June 18th, 2002 02:14 PM

I ended up buying the MKE 300.
Just waiting for it to arrive in the mail now.

Thanks for the info!

Dylan