My first intl. shoot...any advice? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old June 2nd, 2002, 08:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

My first intl. shoot...any advice?

I'm going to Mexico City this August to shoot a doc, and I was hoping for any and all advice....

Getting all my equipment thru the airport....and having it show up when I get there

I want to travel lite as possible...camera, lav, tripod...not sure about lighting. Its awfully bulky

Shooting permits? Power outlets different?

Please give me any and all advice you got.....
Thanks
Bryan
Old June 5th, 2002, 09:31 AM   #2
randor10

Get a set of handcuffs. Place one half on your wrist and the other on the handle of the XL1. Always hold the camera in front of you so it is continuously in your field of vision (even when sleeping).

;)

Good luck
Old June 5th, 2002, 01:26 PM   #3
New Boot

Greetings Bryan,
I dont know about Mexico City but I hauled my xl1 to and across S.E. Asia and my biggest recommendation is to take the smallest tripod possible. Pack the xl1 in a toolbox with a lock instead of a fancy professional case. Also, if this is a noncommercial production, consider taking out a State Farm Personal Articles Policy. I got $7,000 worth of XL1 and laptop equipment insured for under $100 a year and the policy is effective worldwide! As for power outlets, make sure you get a worldwide power adapter (i got mine from the Sharper Image) and then plug in a GOOD surge protector. I recommend one of the lower models from APC that wont be too heavy to lug around. Get one that is also a UPS if you can afford it. Good luck!

PS I always take my XL1 wrapped in clothes in a backpack as my carry on, with battery and charger so even in the worst case I can still shoot.
Old June 6th, 2002, 12:33 AM   #4
Wrangler

I have to reiterate what randor10 says. He's got the right idea.
Don't put the camera down, keep it within the center 30 degrees of your eyesight at all times and always at least one hand on it.

A good camoflage idea is to use the raggedest POS bag you can find, like a cloth grocery bag to carry it in. The last thing you want to do is attract attention to it. Theives will wait all day for you to sit it at your feet while paying for a taco, or sit it beside you on a bench, or even just blink for too long, then send a kid to snatch it.

Happy shooting!

Oh and... Don't drink the water!!! :)
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2002, 10:14 AM   #5
Doconomus

Hello:

Don't know too much 'bout international shooting, but one tid bit of advice I overheard once is: DON'T LOSE YOUR PAPERS. Don't lose the papers to get the camera back into your home country. Be safe and keep those papers with you the whole time so you can come back, and your camera can too.

Regards,

Kyle "Doc" Mitchell
Kyle "Doc" Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2002, 05:08 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks for all the advise...it great to hear from you all

And yea...I already know...don't drink the water!!
Old June 15th, 2002, 03:38 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Consider "Carnet" which is a temporary import permit.

http://web.ita.doc.gov/ticwebsite/FAQs.nsf/6683DCE2E5871DF9852565BC00785DDF/7453DBFE8896DE5B85256A00007E835C?OpenDocument

Another link is http://www.atacarnet.com/ata-carnet-countries.htm

Silver Reflections
guypringle@yahoo.com
+27(0)83 256 8566
Guy Pringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2002, 05:54 AM   #8
Capt. Quirk

You should really take me along with you. Not only have I always wanted to go to Mexico, but can help with the gear and whatnot. You asked for any and all advice? From this crowd?
Keith
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2002, 10:38 AM   #9
Major Player

Hello,
If you use wireless, you might want to check out Mexico's laws on the subject. A few years ago you couldn't even bring a CB unit in your car into Mexico. The people of Mexico are pretty good folks, but stay away from the boarder towns.

Good Luck
B. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2002, 07:50 PM   #10
Warden

If you are worried about getting the equipment back into the country just register it with the US Customs Bureau. It is simple paper work to fill out. It's free and it's a breeze to go through customs with it. Have a great time and take more tape than you ever think you'll need.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog