DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Firewire audio interface (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/2309-firewire-audio-interface.html)

Ford Minton June 6th, 2002 09:54 PM

Firewire audio interface

Question, does anyone have a suggestion for a good Firewire Audio Interface?

thx-

Ford Minton June 10th, 2002 04:31 PM

Bueller....Bueller.......hello?

Ford Minton June 13th, 2002 03:09 PM

Okay, how about this. Am looking at a Motu 896 Firewire audio interface. has anyone used one, does anyone have any suggestions as to software to use in conjunction with the Motu? Does anyone care? Is this thing on? Hello....

Steve Savanyu June 14th, 2002 03:39 PM

Hello,

There are several firewire audio interfaces out there. It really depends on what you want to do with it.

I have a friend that is using an M-box (I think) on his Ti-book for remote audio sessions (Pro Tools).

Motu makes good gear, we use a 2408 in our post studio.

Jeff Donald June 15th, 2002 08:10 PM

Motu is among the best if not the best. I think you'll find that most people here are shooters and are not as much into the higher end post equipment. What are you editing on? Mac or PC?

jeff

Al Holston July 10th, 2002 11:32 PM

Firewire audio

You can't go wrong with the Motu, however for video support the 896 may be a little overkill, as viedo/audio is 16-bit at 44.1 to 48 mhz sampling rates and the 896 goes up to 24-bit at 96mhz, which exceeds the standards except for HDV (which is the only post production outlet for the higher end audio in a 5 to 1 mix.)

Most DV audio requirements can be met with the Motu 828 which is 24-bit at 48mhz, and still exceeds CD and standard DV quality. When you edit audio to video, you need to keep the audio sync'd to the same standard (i.e. the video 16-bit/44.1mhz),or you will get glitches in the form of "clicks".

The Motu 828 specs out as follows:
"The 828 provides eight channels of balanced/unbalanced analog input and output using 24-bit converters with 105 dB dynamic range. Eight channels of 24-bit ADAT lightpipe and stereo S/PDIF I/O provide a grand total of 18 simultaneous inputs and outputs.
"Analog inputs one and two are designed for maximum flexibility. They use Neutrik XLR/TRS combo connectors so you can plug anything from a microphone to a guitar into the same jack. If you prefer to use condenser microphones, you can apply 48-volt phantom power. Each input provides 40dB of gain with convenient front panel trim knobs.
"Like Motu's PCI-324 card, the 828 features an ADAT sync input jack for sample accurate audio transfers with Alesis ADATs, or any device that supports ADAT sync."

I have this unit, and liked it very much, however, I use it mostly for music production.

For video shoots, I use Sounddevices USB Pre, which matches the video audio sync excatly and can also go up to 24-bit, 48 mhz. With the mac and ProTools free, however the USB Pre is set for 16-bit, 44.1mhz which matches the XL1 and most DV systems. This limitation is set by the Mac/OS9x sound manager. A OSx version is in the works, and may increase sample rate to 24-bit. Combine the USB Pre with a laptop, and you have a hard-disk audio recorder for field use (the USB Pre is powered by the buss.

The USB pre is about $500; and the 828 goes for around $750.

On the Mac G-4, you have two USB managers, and one can be set dedicated to the USB Pre. to get the full bandwidth for audio.
aholston