Canon Xl1 with Mic Sony WCS 999 is noisy. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old May 10th, 2009, 02:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon Xl1 with Mic Sony WCS 999 is noisy.

Hi. I bought a new Sony lavalier WCS 999 wireless mic to work with XL1 but I'm not sure if I did the right buy. Mic is always noisy not matter what channel or frequence I choose. I wonder if there is a way to boost the quality or it's simply a waist of time?. I don't know. if someone knows the proper settings (if any exist) to use the WCS 999, I will be grateful to read about your experience. If it's a waist of time, I'll glad to read that too.
Best Regards.
Julian.
Julio Laffont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 08:12 PM   #2
Wrangler

Considering the under $100 price point you can expect this wireless system to have a relatively high noise level. (Sony does not give a signal to noise rating in the spec, which is usually not a good sign). However, it is possible you have a system wiht an unusually high noise level.

Based on the published specs, I would think you may get the best results if you use the XL1 at mic or mic ATT input level and use manual gain control to prevent noise pumping during quieter parts of the program.

Can you post a short sample of the sound you are getting when the mic is worn my a speaker.
Old May 13th, 2009, 12:20 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Don. Already tested your suggestions. Nothing works. In short range distance, the audio comes and go like you are trying to manually sinthonize a very distant radio signal. Seems to be the communication between the transmitter and the receptor is very weak. Speacially if the speaker moves or walk. I was doing a party. The speaker was at 3 meters (10 feets) away, and the audio was full of glitches with very short by high pics of noise. I saved all the speech in FCP and looks just acceptable know, but the WCS 999 gives me more problems than solution. The idea was ask if I can boost the signal or just forget about it and buy something better. i though that Sony usually deliver affordable but reliable products. Maybe I did something wrong but doesn't look to me that the WCS 999 is the case.
Now I'm reading the back of the device. I found this: . The specification Number 2) Say: This device must accept any interference received. Including interference that may cause undesired operation.
Well. I think it's clear..
Julio Laffont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 04:52 PM   #4
Wrangler

There are several type of noise, commonly there is self-noise that is a background hiss, louder with lower cost mics. Then there is external noise, often caused by some type of interference ranging from fluorescent lights to motors to power lines to cell phones to other radio and TV transmitters. The better wireless mics have lower self noise and higher immunity to external noise.

From your brief description, you have an interference problem. A better, diversity, system operating in a different frequency band may work much better for you. Expect to pay more like $500 for a reasonable UHF wireless system.
Old May 13th, 2009, 05:04 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi guys........

You're not alone with the Sony WCS 999.

This from the Sony web site, no less.....

WCS-999 | WCS-999 Wireless Microphone System | Sony | SonyStyle USA

Click on "Review".

Basically it appears to be rubbish.

Whatever you do, don't go upgrading to a second hand unit.

With the recent ongoing change of available frequencies, a lot of stuff out there is simply either not going to work or will be plagued by interference or will be illegal (possibly all three).

The new Sennheiser G3 system would be a pretty impressive move from where you are.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 06:33 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks Cris, Thanks Don for your suggestions and ideas. I always understood the consecuences between cheap price: cheap results, but in this case I found that cheap price mean bad results, that is very uncommon in Sony Devices. It's sound to me like you go to the pet shop to buy a nice affordable dog and they answer: I have one for $25, but is dead...I will buy something better..not a dead dog..
Best Regards.
Julio Laffont is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog