Thinking of getting away from the XL1S at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old July 3rd, 2009, 08:55 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Thinking of getting away from the XL1S

I have an XL1S with a manual lens. When i first got this camera I thought it was great. However, I am not very happy with the resolution it films at. I have a GL2 and it is very noticeably sharper. I am thinking of swapping out the xl1s and going to something like a DSR 250 or 300 type camera. My projects are all SD and will be for atleast another couple years. Light gathering is also very important. I already have a 390L and it is AWESOME for what I do, so I am thinking that the 250 or 300 would be a great compliment.
Brandon Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2009, 05:44 AM   #2
Wrangler

Take a look at the XH-A1s. Since I got one, I've not used my XL1.

Much better wide mode (16x9) too, and that is becoming more important, even in SD, as more people are going wide screen..
Old July 4th, 2009, 04:13 PM   #3
Trustee

I used to own the XL1s, and I'd agree that the DSR 250 will be your best bet, or the XL2 if you prefer to stick with XL1s handling with better image quality and more control of the image settings in-camera. You'll need to look very hard to find better image quality in full SD 16:9 widescreen format.

As good as the XH-A1 is in HDV, I certainly don't see any point in buying one just for down-sampling to SD...and in fact I much prefer the original 16:9 quality produced from the XL2 compared to down-rezzed SD files produced from the XH-A1 or Sony HDV cams.

The best advice is to loan the cameras or view the original footage produced by these cameras before you buy.
Old July 8th, 2009, 01:10 PM   #4
Trustee

Shooting SD today, means it'll be waisted in two - three years.
I mean how many people watch VHS today, I know there are some, but how many?
Old July 9th, 2009, 04:44 AM   #5
Wrangler

Buba makes a good point.

If this is hobby, do what makes you feel good. If it is a business, make sure your business plan addresses the risks associated with the emerging HD market, both form a real and from customer expectation point of view.

While DVD delivery media is still essentially SD, and BluRay is slow to take off, there is the strong perception on the part of many consumers that shooting in HD produces better DVDs.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog