AUDIO IMPUTS for CANON XL1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old June 18th, 2002, 06:11 PM   #1
Andreveroli

AUDIO IMPUTS for CANON XL1

Dear friends:
I send to you an electronic circuit , that allows to connect a microphone with connection Canon connections in the RCA imputs of the Canon XL1.
I hope that it is useful to them.

http://www.gratisweb.com/pixelmultimedia/circuitodibujo.jpg

http://www.gratisweb.com/pixelmultimedia/circuitofinal.jpg

Veronica
Old June 18th, 2002, 07:26 PM   #2
ChorizoSmells

Thank you for the plans for the RCA connectors, I'll go buy the parts and try to make one next week.
Old June 19th, 2002, 07:21 AM   #3
Boss Hog

Andreveroli,

Electrically, your circuit and connections should work. However, you may experience noise on your mic line especially if you are using long cables from the mic to the XL1s. The noise could be hums, buzzes, etc casued by other electrical equipments in the vacinity of the mic line.

Why? Becasue the XLR mic output is a very low level balanced type circuit which is designed to cancel out induced noise. (I just saw an article in a video magazine on this very subject.) When the line is unbalanced, it becomes more suceptible to noise pickup as the "cancellation feature" is defeated.

The MA100, MA200, Beachtek adapters, and other devices contain transformers or circuitry to properly interface the balanced mic line with the XL1s. If you want to build you own device, I would suggest a microphone matching transformer (Audio-Technica CP8201 or equivilent) and a cable to convert the 1/4" plug to two RCA's.

This should give you better results when using microphones with XLR connectors.

Cheers... BTH

PS. I work for a major microphone manufacturer and get this question quite regularly.
Old June 19th, 2002, 07:37 AM   #4
Andreveroli

Ok, the circuit is a single simple circuit, it does not try to compete with MA100 or 200. But it works very well.
I have not noticed noise, hums or buzzes using a microphone of 600 ohms of impedance and like the Shure Betagreen or MA 52
I use short wire ( Belden ) only 3 o 4 meters long.
Thanks for the commentaries

Veronica

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog