Panasonic DVX100 as a second camera to my XL1s? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old April 8th, 2004, 12:28 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Panasonic DVX100 as a second camera to my XL1s?

I am trying to decide on a second camera well actually a third camera. I have the XL1s and a Gl2 I need a third camera and was wondering what you guys thought of using the DVX100 with the Xl1s and GL2 to record the same events. I was wondering how much different the frame mode and 24P would match up? Would this be wise or should I go with another XL1s or GL2. I really like the 24p mode of the Panasonic but unfortunately I have never been able to see one in action so I am hoping that some of you have seen both can compare the two in matching shot's I just don't want drastically different footage.

Thanks in advance.
David Walding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2004, 12:49 AM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Hello David,
I have all three of these cameras (please take pity on me). I've never tried to match the DVX100A with the other two. Offhand, however, I would say that it would be a challenge. Forget about matching with 24P. That's practically out of the question, sans some tricky post-production work on the XL/GL footage. I'd say that you would have a reasonable chance matching Canon's frame mode with the DVX's 30P, although it will require some heavy futzing to balance the color saturation and other characteristics. Ditto for shooting in Normal mode on the Canons and 60i on the DVX, although this might be the easiest to normalize, depending on the nature of your work. The DVX really is in a different world from the Canons in terms of imaging as well as basic camera handling. Regarding the latter, it's not as well suited for casual / event shooting as the Canons.

To be honest, if you shoot critical commercial work and really feel you need simultaneous use of a third camera I recommend staying with a Canon XL/GL. Otherwise you'll likely find that you're spending far too much time trying to make these kids play nice with each other.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2004, 10:04 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply, so I would be better off trying to keep in the same camera family for matching shot's. The only thing that I was thinking of doing was maybe use the Pany for some interview type shot's but oh well. So which one produces the nicest shot's? ;-)

I don't guess there is going to be any news on an XL2 before NAB if it will be announced or a newer GL2. I would hate to buy one and then they announce a newer version a week or two after I buy one. I know it's only a week or two away but I need another cam quickly for some work coming up.
David Walding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2004, 10:16 AM   #4
Skyonic New York

i also have all 3 cameras and the real problem with matching the dvx and xl1 for me was picture sharpness, i was able to come with very close color profile, but the dvx stands out with it's very sharp lens...

i recomend waiting for nab, maybe gl3 might be the answer, if you need it to day get a canon share resources
Robert Mann Z. is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog