Canon Xl1s And Ifpro Lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old April 8th, 2004, 09:54 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon Xl1s vs Canon YJ19x9B KRS Lenshelp please

can anybody tell me is it possible to use Canon YJ19x9B KRS Lens
on canon xl1s.is that i have to use any adaptor.please kindly help me. I cant manage with this 16x lens. I dont know about 16x manual lens. whether i have to go for Canon YJ19x9B KRS Lens or canon 16x manual lens.

vamshi
Vamshidhar Kuchikulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2004, 07:07 PM   #2
Trustee

Unfortunately Vamshi you can't use any of Canon's broadcast lenses on the XL1. The only broadcast lens that has been converted to fit the XL1 is a 14x Fujinon lens that was converted by Optex before Canon released their 14x manual lens. Broadcast lens's use a zoom servo motor/grip attached to the side of the lens and this interferes with the XL1's grip. There is also no way to power the lens as there are no ports on the XL for ext power, the XL lens gets it power through the mount just like the EOS SLRs.

If you do a search on "16x manual lens" you should find plenty of info and thouughts on the Canon 16x manual servo lens. You can also read Ken Tanaka's review on the XL1 Watchdog.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2004, 09:41 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanx

Dear Douglas

Thanx for the information provided. Well can you help in one more perspective with your answer.Now the only option for me is to go for Canon xl 16x manual lens. I have a doubt, weather I have to go for 16x manual lens or canon 100-400 eos lens. I came across through this forum that Image stabilization matters with eos lens is it true? Can you suggest me is there any lens with high quality sharp lens that provides image stabilization.
Anyway i appreciate for your answer.

vamshi
Vamshidhar Kuchikulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2004, 06:30 PM   #4
Trustee

What do you want to shoot? The lenses you mentioned, 16x manual and EF100-400, are for two totally different jobs. The 16x manual lens is designed for broadcast type work like interviews, filmmaking, and general shooting where the shooter wants a full manual lens. The lens does not have image stabilization.

The EF 100-400 does have stabilization but when attached to the XL1 using the EF-XL adapter it effectively becomes a 720- 2880 extreme telephoto lens that should only be used mounted on a tripod. This lens is often used by wildlife shooters due to it's sharpness and extreme reach.

If you need a lens with IS then just stick with the standard 16x lens that comes with the camera. If used correctly and carefully it's a pretty good lens and the IS is excellent.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog