portabrace HKP Carry-on ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old April 11th, 2004, 09:28 AM   #1
New Boot

portabrace HKP Carry-on ?

Hi Guys.
Just wondering about the portabrace HKP-3. I need a case to use when I'm "out and about" and wondered if the HPK-3 is small enough to be classed as carry-on luggage at the airline desk ? Waving my XL1S goodbye as it travels along the belt encased in it's Peli1600 whilst wondering if I'll ever see it again is not something I relish.

I'm not familiar with the current size/weight limitation on flights these days. Are all Airlines the same?

Thanks for any advise

Marcus
Marcus Keeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2004, 10:38 AM   #2
Wrangler

I'm not sure you could find any that could be legally classified as a carry-on. There are probably a few that will make through on many flights, but it will be at the whim of the flight attendants.

I'm like you cringe as I watch people handle luggage. On one flight I watched the handlers pitch baggage into luggage carts and wondered what delicate items were bashed within.

[Live from San Antonio]

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2004, 11:01 AM   #3
New Boot

ya, I think you're right nathan. Depends on the flight attendants and maybe also the type of aircraft.

One day I'll arrive at my destination cameraless
:-(
Marcus Keeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2004, 04:01 AM   #4
Regular Crew

How about giv it a try for KATACCC-10, Design for flight and fix with MA200, highly Recommended!!
Old June 9th, 2004, 03:00 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Carry-on cases

We use a Portabrace CTC 2 and a CTC 3 when traveling light and a Portabrace CO-OB (built for much larger Betacam rigs) when we want to carry more in one bag.

The vast majority of our flights are on Southwest Airlines 737s and all three of these bags fit legally into the overhead bins. (Nothing larger than a laptop case seems to fit in the overhead bins on smaller planes.) The cautionary tale here is that when flying on an airline that doesn't have reserved seating, you MUST get there early enough to board when there are still overhead bins available or it won't matter what size your bag is.

As I write this I am looking at my fully packed Pelican 1650 case that will travel with me tomorrow morning, although it will be riding in the cargo hold. All the gear I need for the shoot wouldn't fit in the CO-OB. Oh, well, at least I won't have to sclhlep a bag down the aisle.
Mike Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2004, 06:55 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I bought the Porta Brace CTC 3 for my XL1-S, MA200, dual battery holder, AT897, 4 batteries, and 6 Digital Master Tapes. It is a very well made case, but I feel it is too large to carry on most flights. I solved the problem; I bought an additional camera just for travel where many of my shoots are more leisure than for pay. I bought a GL2. Porta Brace makes a HIP-4 case that fits the GL2 perfectly. The loaded HIP4 plus Nikon D100, with 70-200, 24-120, 12-24, loads of batteries, etc., packed in 2 Lowepro waist packs (I forgot the Lowepro model #). All 3 packs just fit in my TUMI 20" carryon with rollers and extension handle. he TUMI even goes in the turbo props.
John C Heid is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog