DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Adding Lav mics to the RCA imputs (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/2454-adding-lav-mics-rca-imputs.html)

jeffathy June 20th, 2002 09:27 AM

Adding Lav mics to the RCA imputs

After purchasing the XL1S, my wallet is empty. I am trying to "add" two lav mics for sit down interviews that I will be conducting. I must confess that I am trying to do this as economically (cheap) as possible. I went to Radioshack and bought two stereo lav mics and plugged them into the audio 1 and audio 2 rca imputs. I was unsucessful getting them to work. I went throught the audio set up several times and was unable to figure it out. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am planning on getting the MA-200 adapter at a later time (as soon as I have some money)

Bill Ravens June 20th, 2002 09:38 AM

several thoughts:
1. Radio Shack lavs need a battery and need to have the battery turned on

2.In the VCR menu of the XL1s, there is a place to choose which channel to use, mic, audio1 or audio2

3. behind the little door on the left side of the camera there is a switch to select mic, attenuate, or audio 1 jacks

I had forgotten to make the right selection in no. 2, myself.

jeffathy June 20th, 2002 10:05 AM

Thank you for your speedy response! I was under the impression that I could use Audio 1 and Audio 2 at the same time. Im guessing by your response that is not possible. The battery was turned I must not have had the right settings in the VCR mode. One other question. Will the Audio monitor work using the Audio 1 imput?

Bill Ravens June 20th, 2002 10:15 AM

I am trying to recall the selection switches from memory, not having my camera in front of me. In fact, the XL1s will allow recording from all 4 channels, audio1 and audio2, in the 12bit recording mode. Please read your manual.

But, I'm confused. If you have 2 lavs, why do you need audio 2?
Audio 1 has a left channel and a rt channel, sufficient for 2 lavs.

Edward Troxel June 20th, 2002 11:06 AM

Yes, all 4 can be recorded at once. In the menus, just change the audio setting to Stereo 1+2.

Reason for audio 2: Record the two lavs into audio two and leave the on-camera mic on audio 1. That way you have TWO sources of audio - sometimes it is a nice backup!

jeffathy June 20th, 2002 12:17 PM

Re: to

The lav mics that I bought have seperate left and right channels. That is the only reason that I would need both Audio 1 & 2. Again Thank you for all of your help!

jeffathy June 20th, 2002 02:03 PM

HELP!

I just returned from Radio Shack. I returned the "stereo" lav mics and picked up the "mono" lav mics. I am still having problems using the Audio 2 inputs on the camera. Does the Meter pick up Audio 2 ?

Im about to give up!

Bill Ravens June 20th, 2002 02:10 PM

I use 1 RS lav mic and one Sennheiser Me66 on mine...works fine, but, you do have to work thru the specifics of the setup. Best resource is the manual.

jeffathy June 20th, 2002 02:57 PM

billravens

Do you have the RS lav and Sten mic going through Audio 2 or 1?

I am at my whitts end. I have tried everything that I can think of.

Thanks

Bill Ravens June 20th, 2002 03:33 PM

I've used all three, but, never simultaneously.
Have you checked the ATT switch? One is located under the door on XL1s and another is located in the menu somewhere. This switch switches mic level to line level so that if it's on LINE LEVEL with a mic, it will attenuate most of the signal.

Also, can you connect your lav mic to an alternate amplifier to check to see if it's working. For example, try the mic input on your computer's sound card. Note: The LINE IN jack won't work without mic pre-amp, tho'.

Jeff Donald June 20th, 2002 03:39 PM

Hi,

We've all been there, so don't give up, it's probably something obvious.

1. Use a new tape, so the record tab is closed.
2. Disconnect the stock mic.
3. Decide if your are doing 16bit (2 channel) or 12 bit (4 channel).
4. Set menu accordingly for 16 or 12 bit.
5. Assuming 16 bit for higher quality open camera menu select AUDIO MODE.
6. Set for 16 bit
7. Now it is time to decide if you are plugging the mics into the mini jacks (where stock mic was plugged in) or the RCA jacks.
8. If using the mini jacks open the side door, set AUDIO 1/MIC to MIC. Plug in mic. Test for sound by placing camera into record and check for levels on meter, adjust level by rotating level knob behind side door. To make adjustments set REC LEVEL to M and rotate knob. If level is distorted set to ATT.
9. If using RCA jacks change camera menu setting to Audio 1 > MIC
10. Open side door and set INPUT SELECT to AUDIO 1
11. Attach a mic to RCA jacks and start recording. Again, view levels on meter and make adjustments accordingly.

Please post back with results.

Jeff

jeffathy June 20th, 2002 03:46 PM

Thanks for all of the help!

I was just looking at the stuff I got from RS and the RCA adapter the guy gave me is a (Stereo-to-mono Audio adapter "accepts 1/8" stereo phone plug Fits phono jack" ) I asked if this may be the problem since I can plug the lav mic directly into on board mic and it works fine.

I just looked at the Lav mic and the plug is a 1/8 diameter MONO type.

Could the RS guy be wrong? Is this what is wrong afterall?

P.S. IM SO GLAD I JOINED THIS GROUP!!! thanks for the help

Jeff Donald June 20th, 2002 03:50 PM

Can't hurt to swap it out. Adapter could be defective, test with a volt/ohm meter if you have one.

Jeff

Bill Ravens June 20th, 2002 05:00 PM

In my experience, those Radio Shack guys barely know how to tie their shoes. There's a good chance they provided erroneous info.

Jeff Donald June 20th, 2002 05:17 PM

I didn't know they wore shoes.

Jeff