canon press release at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old April 14th, 2004, 12:26 PM   #1
Major Player

canon press release

Among the broadcast division's many annoucements concerning the new lenses, we see at the bottom of their official release prior to nab the following under the digital video header:

Digital Video

Canon will also have on display at NAB2004 its entire line of digital video camcorders, including the XL1s and GL2 digital video camcorders, its network video solutions and Pan/Tilt/Zoom (P/T/Z) system cameras, and full line of projectors.

The rest of the release deals with other non prosumer markets.

Perhaps there will be a surprise outside the scope of this most recent release.
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2004, 12:55 PM   #2
Major Player

Actually it tells me there won't be any xl2 there since they say they'll be showing the xl1s.
Rob Belics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2004, 06:04 PM   #3
Major Player

"including the xl1s" does not exclude other cameras that might be announced.

Suppose Canon does not upgrade the xl1s per se, but keeps it in its product line because it fills a niche and then introduces a yet to be named, slightly more expensive entirely new camera?
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2004, 11:13 PM   #4
Wrangler

They keep extending the rebates so they must be trying to flush the inventory for something new coming down the line. ;)

regards,
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2004, 01:56 AM   #5
Wrangler

Did you guys miss this thread from a few days ago?

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=24457
Old April 15th, 2004, 07:11 AM   #6
Wrangler

Dylan,

I saw that thread. I think it's ironic that even though the broadcast division is separate as Chris states, they intend to have the XL1s and GL2 on display at NAB.

My point was they are flushing the inventory from dealer shelves with the rebates. This quote is from the article on ABCDV.COM

"Add to that the prolongation of the XL1s rebate, which should have ended on March 31st,"

Now, I recall that the rebate was supposed to have ended on JANUARY 31st. Then extended, then extended again, ad nauseum.

Perhaps by late summer we will see something. If CANON was happy with their current offering, they wouldn't be trying so hard to clear out dealer inventory with the 'never ending' rebate.

Waiting ever so patiently,
Old April 15th, 2004, 08:33 AM   #7
Major Player

Including the xl1s can only mean they won't show the xl2 since it is presumed to be the next generation.
Rob Belics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2004, 09:31 AM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

Greg: << I think it's ironic that even though the broadcast division is separate as Chris states, they intend to have the XL1s and GL2 on display at NAB >>

The Canon USA booth at NAB is a two-part affair. One side is the consumer video division, which includes XL1S and GL2. The other side is the broadcast video lens division. They're separated by a wall completely dividing the exhibit space in half. One side can't see the other. Apropriate, eh?

Jan de Wever's thread mentioned here pretty much hits the nail on the head -- the rebate extension is your primary clue that no XL1S replacement will be shown at NAB. The press releases from the broadcast division have nothing to do with it -- they never report consumer-side developments. It's a mistake to infer anything from the absence of info in those press releases. However it's correct to infer from the rebate extension. Either way, that assumption is dead on target: nothing new from the consumer video division next week.

There will be no XL1S replacement publicly shown at NAB. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2004, 09:50 AM   #9
Trustee

Why did you have to throw in "publicly", chris? You know that just made this thread at least one page longer.

I'm gonna have to go fire up my DVX just to make the tingling go away.

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2004, 10:05 AM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

Just covering the bases, Barry...

N.othing
D.efinite
A.t this time.

Old April 15th, 2004, 10:17 AM   #11
Wrangler

Chris,

I am in agreement that nothing will be shown at NAB. I guess I am inferring by the ever extending rebate issue that something is definitely in the works. That's why I surmised maybe late summer this year. It is purely a guess on my part.

I imagine that Canon is waiting to see how well received the HDV standard is before they pounce on the market with a cutting edge product like the original XL-1 was.

Again, I am waiting patiently to see what happens. I think everyone wants to see how Canon plans to 'up the ante' in prosumer video.

Enjoy NAB, which I could get there for a face to face.

regards,
Old April 15th, 2004, 10:27 AM   #12
Obstreperous Rex

Thanks Greg; hope to meet you one of these days... we need a Texas event! Houston, Dallas, Austin and San Antonio all have ample convention centers.

Canon will definitely do HDV, they're on the consortium... but it's still a little early. In fact, later this summer will still be too early for HDV. My *guess* is that an XL1S replacement from Canon later this year will most likely be standard defintion DV, but I'm just supposing.

Old April 15th, 2004, 10:50 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Chris,

SXSW would seem to be the place for a "Texas" meeting. Though I was there last month, and pretty much overwhelmed by the things to do, people to see.

Since this is not the "Area 51" thread... I won't post the rumours I've hear about an August release...

uh...

nevermind
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2004, 11:48 AM   #14
Obstreperous Rex

Funny thing is Canon USA used to do SXSW. The exhibit floor there is very small so they dropped out of it about two years ago. At least it was then. If other camera manufacturers are there, Canon might come back.

Old April 15th, 2004, 11:51 AM   #15
Trustee

Chris,

I had no Idea that you were a member of the National Dart Association (NDA). I've been thinking of joining. Went to their website, looks like a fun group.

Have fun at NAB....I hope you'll give us a report on any cool goings-on there.

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog