DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Small Cam w/ image like XL1s' (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/2469-small-cam-w-image-like-xl1s.html)

Dirk J Bakker June 21st, 2002 06:04 PM

Small Cam w/ image like XL1s'

I'm considering getting a small camera but would like the image to be as close to my XL1s' as possible. Any suggestions? Brand is not an issue. Thanks.

Adrian Douglas June 21st, 2002 06:43 PM

If you can wait a month or so Canon should be anouncing a new version of the GL/XM1. That will be the closest thing to the XL you can buy.

Chris Hurd June 21st, 2002 06:44 PM

Hello Dirk,

Run, don't walk, and try to find yourself a Canon Optura Pi. It was discontinued last year but occasionally you can still find dealers that have them in inventory. The Optura Pi used to list for around $1600 but before they went away I've seen them for as low as $900 new. If you can find a used one, get it!

The Optura Pi has optical image stabilzation and a true Progessive Scan CCD with a P Scan mode that matches Frame Movie mode on the XL1. However the real "secret weapon" that makes the Optura Pi such a superb 1-chip camcorder is its RGB color filter. The RGB color filter really goes a long way toward approximating a 3-chip look, especially in good lighting. With care, and in good light, an Optura Pi will match an XL1 and GL1 closely and still look good compared to an XL1S.

Its replacement, the Optura 100MC, misses the mark in my opinion. It doesn't have Progressive Scan or an RGB filter. Instead, like most other 1-chippers, it has a complimentary color filter. I understand why Canon brought out the Optura 100MC, but it's a shame the Optura Pi had to go away. It was truly the Cadillac of all 1-chippers and I'm glad I've got mine.

Look around for an Optura Pi, and if you can find one, jump on it; you won't regret it.

By the way Dirk, it's great to have you here. I know you from the rec.video.production newsgroup on usenet and I very much respect the way you have stood up to a certain "loud noise" over there who likes to grind his axe against a certain camera manufacturer and indulge in petty brand-loyalty partisanship. I find that person's demeaning nature patently offensive, and it's part of the reason why I created this message board. You'll never find his type of trash around here. On the other hand, you yourself are most welcome and I'm glad you found us. This board is all yours, and I look forward to seeing more posts from you.

Much respect,

Dirk J Bakker June 21st, 2002 08:19 PM

Chris: I posted the same question in r.v.p. and got no response, not a one. It's very interesting that of late the 'mafiosi' are at bay. They've either run out of ammo or just tired. Thanks guys and I hope to read and contribute what I can.

Dirk J Bakker June 24th, 2002 02:15 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Adrian Douglas : If you can wait a month or so Canon should be anouncing a new version of the GL/XM1. That will be the closest thing to the XL you can buy. -->>>

I was just looking at www.Xm-2.com at the new camera. The pictures of it say GL2. What it does not have in the specs is the weight. Any idea? I've looked at the Optura Pi and the 4.8 lb that it weighs is too close to the XL1s'. I checked to see if www.canondv.com is showing anything of it, but saw nothing yet.

Ken Tanaka June 25th, 2002 03:52 PM

Hello Dirk,
Canon's GL-2 announcement & product page should be of interest to you. The spec page indicated that it's a 2lb 7oz camera, about the same weight as the GL1.

http://www.canondv.com/gl2/index.html

I've had a GL1 sinc 1999 and can tell you that it is a nice camera whose footage is -very- close to that of both my XL1 and XL1s under good lighting conditions.

Michael Westphal June 27th, 2002 10:16 PM

Dirk,
A stock Optura Pi only weighs 1lb 7oz's (650g)

Mic

Dirk J Bakker June 27th, 2002 10:26 PM

You're right. I just rechecked the archive specs at www.canondv.com. It's still in contention. Thanks.

Dirk J Bakker July 31st, 2002 09:25 PM

Got it!!!

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Hurd :
Run, don't walk, and try to find yourself a Canon Optura Pi. -->>>

Thanks to you (and MichaelA for correcting my misconception as to its weight) at long last, I got an Optura Pi in excellent condition for $450. The reason I got it at that price was that it came without a remote, AC adapter, manual and a working battery (as far as I can tell).

I just received two working batteries so I can run tests now; have downloaded the inst. manual from www.canondv.com; got a filter 'kit'; unfortunately I got a 'cheapo' charger, which I might need to return for refund or exchange.

So now I have a few questions: Is the remote a 'must have' or just a convenience? What are viable charging options? Is the AC adapter a must have? (I'd prefer NOT using camera as a charger cradle). What other accessories have you guys found useful?

Thanks again,

Dirk

Jeff Donald August 1st, 2002 06:18 AM

I purchased the Mach 1 charger from Lenmar http://www.lenmar.com/ and have been very pleased with its performance. It will not power your camera from AC however. If you are going to be using your Optura for transer of DV to computer, you might want the Canon carger, so you'll have the AC option. Remote might come in handy and I've seen them on ebay very cheap.

Jeff

Michael Westphal August 1st, 2002 12:17 PM

(Dirk, You're welcome)
The remote is NOT required, but useful for vcr functions and to remote trigger the camera.
The A/C adapter is useful, as jt said, when you connect to the computer. Otherwise, I prefer an off-camera charger.

Congrats. Have fun with it.

Paul Sedillo August 1st, 2002 03:15 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Hurd : Hello Dirk,

Run, don't walk, and try to find yourself a Canon Optura Pi. It was discontinued last year but occasionally you can still find dealers that have them in inventory. The Optura Pi used to list for around $1600 but before they went away I've seen them for as low as $900 new. If you can find a used one, get it! -->>>

Does the Canon Optura Pi come with a Firewire connection?

Jeff Donald August 1st, 2002 03:46 PM

Yes, it is a requirement of the mini DV format. It also has analog connections, S-Video and composite.

Jeff

Paul Sedillo August 2nd, 2002 05:44 AM

Thank you for the reply Jeff!

Dirk J Bakker August 27th, 2002 02:35 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by MichaelA : (Dirk, You're welcome)
The remote is NOT required, but useful for vcr functions and to remote trigger the camera.
The A/C adapter is useful, as jt said, when you connect to the computer. Otherwise, I prefer an off-camera charger.

Congrats. Have fun with it. -->>>

I got hold of the remote, the AC adapter (thinking the charger was defective), the WD-46 wide converter, filter set and a strap.

Turns out I was using the charger incorrectly, so it stays and will serve for both AC and DC use.

The Optura Pi is definitely what I was looking for. Thanks to all.