DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   16X Manual Lens Questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/248-16x-manual-lens-questions.html)

John Dimasi September 26th, 2002 10:33 AM

Thanks for clearing that up guys

Andrew Petrie September 26th, 2002 12:20 PM

Another ? re: 16x Manual

My concern with the power zoom capability on the 16x manual, is the speed at which the zoom operates while in manual mode. My gripe about the stock IS II lense is the terribly slow response from both the zoom and focus rings.

How does the 16x manual lense handle? I really want a faster manual zoom / focus solution.

Chris Hurd September 26th, 2002 12:27 PM

With the servo switch set to manual and using the rings on the lens barrel, you can perform a snap zoom and/or snap focus as fast as you can twist your wrist.

Barry Goyette September 26th, 2002 01:14 PM

Andrew,

I just got the 16x with the option of returning it if I didn't like it....I'm keeping it...largely for the reason you stated...rack zooms and focus shifts are super with this lens. It is a true manual lens with the addition of a nice power zoom. The two stage ND is a nice feature as well.

Barry

Josh Bass September 27th, 2002 12:01 AM

I want to add (and I feel I must spread this information like a virus) that if you do buy a zoom controller (at least by Varizoom, doesn't Canon make some as well?) then expect a half-second delay between when you depress the rocker/button and when your zoom actually starts, regardless of zoom speed. This will happen every time, with every manual lens. This is what I was told. Just beware. I myself cannot deal with this, so I'm returning my PG-L.

Sorry if I keep bitching about this, Chris, but I feel people need to know. I try to use the manual lens as often as possible, and keep the ISII around only when someone wants me to have autofocus or IS capabilities, so when I buy something, I have it in mind for use with the manual lens, and if that something doesn't work, then it upsets me.

Chris Hurd September 27th, 2002 05:20 AM

It should be clearly understood that the response delay you're complaining about is a function of the lens, not the controller. Personally I think you're returning the wrong item, but that's your business.

Josh Bass September 27th, 2002 04:02 PM

I've decided I might as well hold onto it, even though it won't be quite as useful as I'd hoped.

Suggesting sending the manual 16x lens back is blasphemy! That's one of the best investments I've made! What good is my zoom controller if the lens I use it with doesn't stay focused throughout its entire zoom?

Chris Hurd February 16th, 2003 10:23 PM

New on the Watchdog: 16x Manual Servo Zoom Lens Report

Ken Tanaka describes in detail just about everything you need to know.

See www.dvinfo.net/canon/articles/article82.php

Outstanding job, Ken... anybody got any questions? Post 'em here. Enjoy,

Don Berube February 17th, 2003 05:19 AM

Nice article Ken! :)

I use the Manual/ Servo all the time. I grew up on this type of lens, it's what I am most familiar with. I used to shoot a lot of sports - basketball, hockey, skiing, snowboarding - I have no problem shooting handheld with this lens, I guess my past experiences with shooting sports with a manual lens helped me in that regard.

Thank you for the article Ken, very well laid out.

- don

Jason Steussy May 5th, 2003 08:22 PM

Lens hoods for 16x manual servo lens?

I got my dandy 16x manual servo lens last month and have been using the lens hood from the standard lens on it. It didn't fit exactly...I had to put a little electrical tape around the rim to give the little sprocket something to sink into, but it worked well enough. Now, I'm auctioning off my original lens and feel obligated to include the lens hood in the auction...so where do I find a nice lens hood for the manual servo lens? Preferably one that actually fits like it should and is still rectangular like the one that is often pictured on the manual lens in catalogs. I haven't had much luck surfing for it so far...did some people get hoods with their 16x manual lenses? Or is everyone just making do?

Chris Hurd May 5th, 2003 09:34 PM

The 16x manual lens is supposed to come with its own lens hood. Who did you buy it from? Looks like they owe you a lens hood.

Don Berube May 5th, 2003 09:59 PM

Chris is correct. Your 16X manual/ servo lens should have included a lens hood.

Did you buy this new or used? Did it have a serial number?

- don

Jason Steussy May 5th, 2003 10:38 PM

Yeah, I bought it used off of ebay. It has a serial number, but I think I've seen some new ones that didn't come with a hood either. Then again, maybe I did lose out. Anyone have any suggestions for where to look for another one?

Bryan Beasleigh May 5th, 2003 10:46 PM

www.cavision.com

Bob Deming May 11th, 2003 04:26 PM

Lens Hood

I have one if you haven't purchased on yet.