DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   16X Manual Lens Questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/248-16x-manual-lens-questions.html)

Richard Lubash October 30th, 2001 11:43 AM

16X Manual Lens Questions

I have been waiting for word on a ship date for the new 16X manual lens and as of today in a conversation with the warehouse at Cannon parts was told it could be 6 to 8 months. So… my question is, has anyone heard information that would negate the 6-8 months as a confused warehouse manager or, if this is true. Is the 14X (older) manual lens significantly enough different from the new 16X lens to wait out the time till the new lens is available?

Thanks,

Richard Lubash
2K-Plus

Alexander Ibrahim October 31st, 2001 03:03 AM

I thought November was the ship date ?

I thought November was the ship date, and I have been assured by people at Canon I would be able to see a sample of the final retail version of the 16x lens this November at GV Expo.

Of course, just because I can see it at an expo doesn't mean they'll be shipping it in quantity. Could be that it will be 6-8 months before there is a significant number of lenses available for sale.

gratedcheese November 29th, 2001 11:59 PM

Canon 16x manual lens

Has anyone heard the latest on the availability of the manual 16x lens?

Also, for those of you who might have heard about the specs on the new lens, how do you think it will compare to the Fujinon 14x manual lens made for the XL1?

I'm about to purchase the XL1S, but am waiting for information on the 16x manual and how it compares to the Fujinon model.

One other question: do the converters that are made for the XL1 detract optically from the image that is recorded?

Thanks!

Chris Hurd November 30th, 2001 10:53 PM

Howdy from Texas,

<< Has anyone heard the latest on the availability of the manual 16x lens? >>

Canon USA tells me it's available now.

<< how do you think it will compare to the Fujinon 14x manual lens made for the XL1? >>

No real way to know for sure without a hands-on side by side comparison.

Numbers, specs etc. available in the PDF brochure which you can download from Canon -- link on my site, under "XL1S Skinny."

<< do the converters that are made for the XL1 detract optically from the image that is recorded? >>

Converters? You mean wide-angle adapters, etc.? Shouldn't hurt it too much, as long as the glass is good (i.e., Canon glass or similar). Stay away from the cheap stuff. Hope this helps,

Richard Lubash December 3rd, 2001 09:21 AM

I just received the 16X manual lens form B&H on Thursday. I haven't had much time to play with it but so far it seems quite nice. It uses the iris control on the camera instead of a ring which I would have liked better but considering that you can use it manual or servo zoom that seems like an ok trade off from the old 14x manual.

Richard Lubash

Mike Avery December 4th, 2001 10:54 AM

no iris ring on lens?

I had been looking forward to getting a 16X manual lens, but now learn there is no iris ring on the lens...we still have to use the camera iris control.

Is this true? If so that's a big disappointment.

Mike Avery

Guest December 4th, 2001 07:53 PM

Yes, that is true, no manual adjustment of the iris on the lens itself, only with the dial. That is what is holding me back from buying it as well.

gratedcheese December 5th, 2001 03:13 PM

16x Manual lens: RRKPLRRKPL ?

RRKPLRRKPL:

What is your impression of the 16x Canon manual lens that you purchased recently?

Can anyone compare it to the Optex/Fujinon 14x manual lens that has been discussed on this site?

Thanks!

Mike Avery December 5th, 2001 03:46 PM

14x iris control

Well, what about the 14x...does it have the iris ring on the lens, or does it also use the camera iris control?

Thanks,

Mike Avery

Rob Lohman December 6th, 2001 03:51 AM

I'd like to here some opinions too... Some ppl claim
to have it, but are not saying anything about it! Please
guys.. let us know how it is! You don't have to write
a complete review (although that would be nice as well)..
just tell us how it is! :)

Thanks!

Justin Walter December 7th, 2001 03:24 AM

16X verses 14X for 16:9 use

I too was considering getting the 14x, since it is so much cheaper and really how much difference could there be in image quality... However, I am also interested in getting the new anamorphic lense attachment for 16:9 photography.

This is where the problem came up: The OpTex DV Anamorphic Attachment for 16:9 on a 4:3 chip was originally made for 52mm threaded lenses.
*The lense that comes with the XL1 is 72mm
*The manual 14x is 62mm thread.
*The manual 16x is 72mm thread.

Obviously this is a problem, luckily for us who are intrested in getting a good widescreen image
an adaptor ring that will change the thread from 52 to 72mm was made this adaptor costs an extra $70. There is not an adaptor to change it from 52mm to 62mm as far as I know. So it should work with the 16x manual lense but not with the 14x manual, if I'm am reading this stuff right.

These are just my impressions from looking at this cool stuff on the ZCG site, let me know if I'm missing something or if I've got it all wrong:

http://www.zgc.com/html/anamorphic_attachment.html#xl1
http://www.zgc.com/html/__stru_1.html
http://www.zgc.com/html/canon_16x_manual_servo_zoom_le.html

Guest December 7th, 2001 04:22 AM

The optex 14x manual lens is 62mm, the Canon 14x manual lens is 72mm just like the 16x manual lens and all the other Canon XL-1 lenses.

Justin Walter December 7th, 2001 10:21 PM

okay... I wasn't aware that there was more than one 14x lense available for the XL1... Probably because I was only looking at the ZCG site, but looking on the watchdog I've confirmed that you are right:

http://www.dvinfo.net/xl1.htm

Thanks if it works with the Anamorphic Attachment you will have saved me hundreds of dollars. The OpTex DV Anamorphic Attachment should work with the Canon 14x manual lense right? Are there any other issues that would prevent it from working...anyone know?

joe stonestreet December 24th, 2001 02:26 PM

16X manual lens zoom speed

I just got my new lens and was disappointed to find that the slowest possible zoom speed is much faster than the nice slow creep available with the standard 16 XL II lens. Is this within specs for this lens or do I have a problem. I like unobtrusive camera moves for some of my work and really liked that capability. I use the Varizoom Pro controller so I can dial in the desired speed and have if be consistent through out my work...but this lens has moch faster zoom speed on the slow end. Anybody else noticed this with their lens?

Chris Hurd December 24th, 2001 02:54 PM

Please check the other threads before posting -- this topic is currently being discussed in Mike Avery's post, "First Impressions of the 16x Manual Lens" -- let's pick up the conversation there. Thanks,

Mark Chiocchi December 28th, 2001 08:45 PM

I just got my Canon 16X manual lens What a GREAT Lens.

Paul Sedillo August 7th, 2002 09:16 PM

16X Manual Servo Lens - Focus Question

I recently purchased the 16X Manual Servo Lens. Great lens but I am having trouble getting a really sharp image. I am sure that it is due to my inability with it. My viewfinder is color, which I think might also be part of the problem.

Do any of you old pros have any suggestions on how to insure a sharp image/shot?

Josh Bass August 8th, 2002 03:51 AM

Hello, fellow Houstonian. I have that lens, and perhaps you need to adjust the back focus? I have no problems getting a sharp image with this lens when focusing with the color viewfinder, whereas I did before with the ISII.

Anyway, if your back focus is screwed up, it could be throwing your focus off. Unscrew the. . .little screw near where the lens meets the body, and when you're zoomed all the way wide, focus by rotating the ring with the little "m" button, then, carefully (so as not to accidentally turn the ring) screw the screw back in.

I know all these little pieces and parts have technical names, but I'll be damned if I remember them at five in the morning.

If this is not your problem, forget you've read the last three paragraphs.

Paul Sedillo August 8th, 2002 03:56 AM

Josh,

Thanks man! And what the heck are you doing up so early!!

I will give your suggestions a try today. Supposed to shot a short this weekend, so I worked out this issue.

Last weekend I shot a mountian bike clinic over at Memorial Park. This is the footage that is not as sharp as I would like.

Jeff Donald August 8th, 2002 03:57 AM

Search the term back focus and you should be able to find several threads covering the complete procedure for adjusting back focus. It might even be covered in an article on the XL1 Watchdog.

Jeff

Josh Bass August 8th, 2002 04:02 AM

Yeah, what he said. My procedure's correct, but there's a more technical one. I left some stuff out. . .my fault. Be sure to critcally focus the regular way on an object 75 feet away, or whatever the farthest away you can focus (bad grammar).

After that, do the whole shebang I told you about.

And it's not up early, it's up late.

Paul Sedillo August 8th, 2002 04:06 AM

Thank you Josh and Jeff. I just found the thread via search that covers this. It was a thread the Josh posted. Very informative stuff:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2333

Josh Bass August 8th, 2002 11:24 AM

Yes yes thank you thank you . . .oh you're too kind. . .no I don't do autographs.

Paul Sedillo August 8th, 2002 02:26 PM

Josh,

Now my question is did you coach Vin Diesel in his latest quote (which I love):

"People keep asking if I've changed since becoming a celebrity. But I haven't changed because I've always thought I was a celebrity. It was the rest of the world that hadn't figured it out."

Josh Bass August 8th, 2002 02:58 PM

No. Ick, Vin Diesel.

John Dimasi September 24th, 2002 07:33 PM

manual 16X

I read where the manual 16x lens does have a power zoom capability. Who sells something that would make this work? Would it be for tripod use only or could you somehow use the existing zoom control?

Barry Goyette September 24th, 2002 10:42 PM

Jonathan

The 16x lens power zoom works with the xl1s zoom control via a motor mounted on the lens. There is a switch on the bottom that allows a choice of full (mechanical) zoom, or servo, so in servo it works essentially the same as the auto lens, without the autofocus.

Barry

John Dimasi September 25th, 2002 09:44 PM

Barry,
So your saying the existing zoom control on the Xl-1 will work with the 16x manual lens without any wiring or extra parts and pieces?

Barry Goyette September 25th, 2002 10:34 PM

True plug n' play my friend. Just mount it and forget it. Just make sure you flip the switch if you decide to go manual.

Barry

Chris Hurd September 25th, 2002 10:46 PM

Also, any LANC remote lens controller, such as the Canon ZR1000 or any VariZoom LANC model, will remotely control zoom on this manual lens. Not focus, though... that requires a separate VariZoom focus controller. Hope this helps,

John Dimasi September 26th, 2002 10:33 AM

Thanks for clearing that up guys

Andrew Petrie September 26th, 2002 12:20 PM

Another ? re: 16x Manual

My concern with the power zoom capability on the 16x manual, is the speed at which the zoom operates while in manual mode. My gripe about the stock IS II lense is the terribly slow response from both the zoom and focus rings.

How does the 16x manual lense handle? I really want a faster manual zoom / focus solution.

Chris Hurd September 26th, 2002 12:27 PM

With the servo switch set to manual and using the rings on the lens barrel, you can perform a snap zoom and/or snap focus as fast as you can twist your wrist.

Barry Goyette September 26th, 2002 01:14 PM

Andrew,

I just got the 16x with the option of returning it if I didn't like it....I'm keeping it...largely for the reason you stated...rack zooms and focus shifts are super with this lens. It is a true manual lens with the addition of a nice power zoom. The two stage ND is a nice feature as well.

Barry

Josh Bass September 27th, 2002 12:01 AM

I want to add (and I feel I must spread this information like a virus) that if you do buy a zoom controller (at least by Varizoom, doesn't Canon make some as well?) then expect a half-second delay between when you depress the rocker/button and when your zoom actually starts, regardless of zoom speed. This will happen every time, with every manual lens. This is what I was told. Just beware. I myself cannot deal with this, so I'm returning my PG-L.

Sorry if I keep bitching about this, Chris, but I feel people need to know. I try to use the manual lens as often as possible, and keep the ISII around only when someone wants me to have autofocus or IS capabilities, so when I buy something, I have it in mind for use with the manual lens, and if that something doesn't work, then it upsets me.

Chris Hurd September 27th, 2002 05:20 AM

It should be clearly understood that the response delay you're complaining about is a function of the lens, not the controller. Personally I think you're returning the wrong item, but that's your business.

Josh Bass September 27th, 2002 04:02 PM

I've decided I might as well hold onto it, even though it won't be quite as useful as I'd hoped.

Suggesting sending the manual 16x lens back is blasphemy! That's one of the best investments I've made! What good is my zoom controller if the lens I use it with doesn't stay focused throughout its entire zoom?

Chris Hurd February 16th, 2003 10:23 PM

New on the Watchdog: 16x Manual Servo Zoom Lens Report

Ken Tanaka describes in detail just about everything you need to know.

See www.dvinfo.net/canon/articles/article82.php

Outstanding job, Ken... anybody got any questions? Post 'em here. Enjoy,

Don Berube February 17th, 2003 05:19 AM

Nice article Ken! :)

I use the Manual/ Servo all the time. I grew up on this type of lens, it's what I am most familiar with. I used to shoot a lot of sports - basketball, hockey, skiing, snowboarding - I have no problem shooting handheld with this lens, I guess my past experiences with shooting sports with a manual lens helped me in that regard.

Thank you for the article Ken, very well laid out.

- don

Jason Steussy May 5th, 2003 08:22 PM

Lens hoods for 16x manual servo lens?

I got my dandy 16x manual servo lens last month and have been using the lens hood from the standard lens on it. It didn't fit exactly...I had to put a little electrical tape around the rim to give the little sprocket something to sink into, but it worked well enough. Now, I'm auctioning off my original lens and feel obligated to include the lens hood in the auction...so where do I find a nice lens hood for the manual servo lens? Preferably one that actually fits like it should and is still rectangular like the one that is often pictured on the manual lens in catalogs. I haven't had much luck surfing for it so far...did some people get hoods with their 16x manual lenses? Or is everyone just making do?