DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Windowburn | Timecode to VHS (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/24879-windowburn-timecode-vhs.html)

Therese Kim April 21st, 2004 02:38 PM

Windowburn | Timecode to VHS

Hello,

I'm trying to export directly from the XL-1s to a VHS cassette with the timecode.

I'm trying to keep my raw footage on the mini DV tape pristine, and use the VHS to log the timecodes of sections i want to capture.

In Canon's manual, the EVF button seems like it's supposed to enable this, however, nothing happens when I press the button.

I'm in the XL-1s' VCR mode and see the timecode in the viewfinder. But the image on my TV monitor does not show the timecode.

Does anyone know how to do a windowburn to a VHS cassette/make the timecode show up on the VHS worktape?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Don Palomaki April 21st, 2004 07:22 PM

With the XL1, you press the "On Screen" button on the remote. The XL1s may have the same functionability.

Therese Kim April 22nd, 2004 07:51 AM

Thanks

I called Canon before I read your post, and they told me the same thing you wrote. It does work.

Canon tech support says you should be able to get the timecode to show up on the TV monitor through the "onscreen button" on the remote and with the "TV screen" on the camera. I never got it to work through the camera's menu -- just through the remote.

Thanks again for your help-

Rob Lohman April 23rd, 2004 05:09 AM

It will ONLY work through the remote. There is no such button
on the camera itself. There is an info detail toggle button on the
camera, but that is for information in the viewfinder while recording.

Don Palomaki April 23rd, 2004 07:40 PM

There is a "TV SCREEN" button on the WL-D73 remote that came with the GL1.

Therese Kim April 26th, 2004 01:56 PM

Thank you all for responding -- it's been helpful to read your comments.

Ken Saltzman June 7th, 2004 07:12 PM

You may NEED the remote with the XL1 to accomplish this, but that is not the case with the XL1s.

On the XL1s, you can indeed get viewfinder information to be passed to a monitor - under the 'DISP. SET UP' part of the menu, choose 'TV SCREEN' and turn it ON or OFF.

This is exactly how I get all the viewfinder info to pass to my mounted LCD monitor.

-Ken

Anthony Marotti February 10th, 2005 09:06 AM

Hello :-)

Did you check this??

If you get the info to display on-screen, it doesn't record on the tape, it is for operational purposes.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but that is how I read it and have used it numerous times. I don't think the XL1 has any option to burn timecode, the XL2 on the other hand does. I own both, but never needed this feature, so I could stand corrected.

I would be interested in your results :-)

Chris Hurd February 11th, 2005 11:15 AM

The timecode burn-in function is called Character Record.

It is not available on the XL1. It is available on the XL1S and XL2.

Anthony Marotti February 11th, 2005 12:57 PM

Hi

That's what I thought, I however did not know about the XL1S :-)