xl1 drop out problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old June 24th, 2002, 06:28 PM   #1
openeyes

xl1 drop out problem

I've had my XL1 for 4 years now so this might just be wear and tear....anyway, I've noticed many drop-outs on the last 10-15 minutes of 60 minute tapes. It shouldn't be dirty heads since the rest of the tape is fine.
Has this happened to anyone else? Could it be the tape threader being loose or something near the end of tapes?

Thanks

Randy
Old June 25th, 2002, 12:18 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Probably is dirty heads to some extent; and you really need to send that camera in for a check-up. Kinda like going to the dentist. Doing so will fix a lot of things.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2002, 07:20 AM   #3

Have these tapes been used before? Used tape develops dropouts as the metal oxide on used tape begins to flake off. DV tape isn't very robust and shouldn't be re-used. Useful lifetime, IMHO is about 5-6 re-records. Leaving the tape in the camera tends to exacerbate the failure rate.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2002, 06:35 PM   #4
openeyes

Nope, these were brand new tapes, left only in the camera for about 90 minutes. I've already called the canon service centre and the operator had never heard of a similar problem. I'll be sending it in I guess. Yikes! I'm hoping it's simple to fix.

Has anyone ever fried their firewire chip in an XL1? I'm going to check, but I think that might have happened if my comp's firewire card is short-circuited.
Yeeesh...everything happens at the same time (the upside is that I can also get it all checked out at the same time)

Randy

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog