XL1S vs. JVC GY-DV550U Pro and GY-DV5000? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old April 24th, 2004, 04:03 PM   #1
Major Player

XL1S vs. JVC GY-DV550U Pro and GY-DV5000?

Hi, I was wondering how the GY-DV550U Pro and GY-DV5000 cameras compared to the XL1S. I'm looking for a new camera as Canon has screwed us all on the absence of anything relating to the XL2 at NAB <=P. So I figure that getting an XL1S would be the most useful for me as I already have a GL1 (which I bought a few months before the announcement of the GL2 >=X LOL =D!), but I can't help but notice the GY-DV550 and 5000 cameras being better with their low light capabilities, XLR inputs, LCD screens (DV5000 only I believe), hard drive recording, similar price (after lenses and accessories), and somewhat interchangeable lense system. But you see, I'm also planning on getting the P+S Technik 35mm adapter as well, so which camera would be best for film blowup and just all around better looking video? I don't really need frame mode as that is bad for blowup stuff, so don't even mention that.
Old April 24th, 2004, 04:11 PM   #2
Outer Circle

Deciding would depend on how much money you want to spend? Or going with the right cam for the right job/s? Which one you like best?
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2004, 04:14 PM   #3
Major Player

I don't understand what you're trying to say there, but I'm looking for something to make indie films with.
Old April 24th, 2004, 05:28 PM   #4
Outer Circle

I'm sure they are all good for making "Indie films." Which cam seems right for you?
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2004, 09:10 PM   #5
Wrangler

Hey Jack
If you think the cameras are in the same price category, you are grossly underestimating the cost of accessories for the DV5000.
Because it is a substantialy heavier camera, you will need a heftier tripod than you would for the XL1. Plus, I think the only lens for the Dv5000 that costs less than $3000 is the Fujinon 14x that most places package with it. A WA adapter for that will probably cost more than the entire 3x lens for the XL1s.
Plus the batteries and charger don't come with a DV5000, you have to buy them seperatly, and we aren't talking $60 a pop on Ebay. Budget an extra $800+ for a set of batteries and charger.
I'd figure a complete XL1s package would be in the $4000 range (with tripod, bag, extra batteries) but I'd put the DV5000 at (are the DV5000's selling for around $5000 with lens now?) at least $7000.

Which camera is better? Bigger chips in the DV5000 win out over the XL1s, if you can afford it, go for it!

However, the best indie film camera is probably the DVX100.

PS, I hope you are joking about Canon screwing us over at NAB. They specificaly said they were not releasing a new camera, so if you are dissapointed, it sure isn't their fault.
Old April 25th, 2004, 11:01 AM   #6
Major Player

Well that's just what I get from reading other's thoughts on the lack of an XL2. But anyway, thanks for clearing that up for me ^_^ !
Old April 25th, 2004, 05:32 PM   #7
Wrangler

Another thing to remember Jack is not many systems out there have interchangeable lenses. The XLs, for now, offer a real bang for your buck in this arena.

Still bigger image arrays win out on most systems...they just co$t more.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2004, 12:07 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Jack,

I am VERY happy with my DV5000, but I have to admit I could have bought two XL1S for what I paid for my DV5000 and accessories.

Personally, I think the DVX100A is the best prosumer camera right now.

I am thinking about getting a JVC HD10U, but the HD10U requires extra work.
Old April 26th, 2004, 10:23 PM   #9
Wrangler

Dustin, what did your DV5000 camera package end up costing total? I thought about buying one, but when the costs started to really add up I backed off and stuck with the XL1.
Old April 26th, 2004, 10:55 PM   #10
Regular Crew

About $6,500 for camera, lens, viewfinder, two batteries, and a charger.

Vinten tripod, mattebox, follow focus, and a few filters was about another $4,000.
Old April 27th, 2004, 09:50 PM   #11
Wrangler

Thanks Dustin. Looks like my guesstimate was just about right on.
Old May 4th, 2004, 08:35 PM   #12
Tourist

Hi Jack,
If you're still following this post, here's my 2 cents. I own both an xl1s and the gy-dv5000. The picture quality is better in the 5000 without a doubt, especially in low light. The XL1s has a soft focus with the lenses that comes with it. For any serious work you'll need to change the lenses. I got the 16x manual zoom and it's a great improvement on exact focusing. The XL1s has maybe slightly warmer colors with a lean towards reddish. A good white balance is a must. Overall, if price is no object the 5000 is the better machine. It's heavy and the accessories are expensive but it does a fine job. The XL1s isn't bad either.

See ya'
Andy
Andy Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2004, 07:40 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Just to share some little thought, Budget = Cam, More budget = better Cam...
My Setup: XL1-s, MA200, CH910 w 2 x 945 Batts, Work great!!!!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog