DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   The DV in/out on my new XL1S is not working (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/25176-dv-out-my-new-xl1s-not-working.html)

Dennis Robinson April 26th, 2004 10:15 PM

The DV in/out on my new XL1S is not working

Hi
I need help. I am not having any luck getting my new camera to connect via the firwire c able. It has been good so far but I have only had it from new a week and I wonder if there is some little thing I need to check. I have 2 computers and none work. I have tried another cable too but the problem exists.
Have I flicked a switch on the camera by mistake/
Regards
Dennis Robinson
Perth Australia.

Dylan Couper April 26th, 2004 10:22 PM

See if you can borrow another miniDV camera from someone to test on your computer. You may have a blown firewire port in your XL1s.

Don Palomaki April 27th, 2004 04:57 AM

Some systems like to have the camcorder connected and powered on before the PC is powered up.

Andreas Fernbrant April 27th, 2004 04:20 PM

Dennis,

IF you had your cam on when you plugged it in to the computer you fried the firewire port. I did that and had to replace the mainboard. It was coverd by the warrenty for me.
I hope you have the same luck.

Once again to all reading, NEVER have your cam on when connecting firewire to it..

Good Luck Dennis!

/Andreas..

Dennis Robinson April 27th, 2004 06:04 PM

Thanks Andreas,
In the past using a Sony 900, I have always plugged and unplugged whenever and did the same with the Canon.
It is under warranty but I will be without it while it is being repaired, and it is so inconvenient. How long did it take to fix? What is a motherboard? Is it something that will go straight in and only take an hour to replace?
Regards,
Dennis

Rob Lohman April 28th, 2004 09:12 AM

Dennis,

Your post is lacking in detail. What did you do to come to the
conclusion it is not working? Simply plugging something in is no
indication. Did you start an application to work with the camera,
if so, which. What did the application say?

What operating system are you running?

Not having your XL1S might be inconvenient. But not being able
to capture your footage is as well.

I would test every combination before sending it in, personally.

In what mode was your XL1S running?

Doug Struchen April 28th, 2004 01:20 PM

I have somewhat the same problem - but it may be a non-problem. I was able to control a GL1 through the firewire - start- stop - etc. I can't control the XL1S. All that I can do is press play on the Camera - and capture to my PC. Should you be able to control the XL1S like the GL1? I was using some stupid simple program like Windows move shaker or something to that effect,

Dennis Robinson April 28th, 2004 07:21 PM

Thanks for your replies. The firwire is working with other cameras so it appears that my XL1s has blown a firewire port like I have read about here. I have since been told by a few posts and now by the retailer that the camera should never be turned on while the cables are connected. I got caught and didnt know. I am using Premiere Pro and my ibook has imovie and Final Cut Express, so the fault is definately in the camera. I just wish I had of known the dangers of plugging and unplugging willy-nilly

Rob Lohman April 29th, 2004 04:16 AM

I've plugged and un-plugged my XL1S with computer and camera
on and off and everything in between without any problems at
all.

Doug: yes, you should be able to control your XL1S in that fashion.
I can with Vegas and Premiere.

Andreas Fernbrant April 30th, 2004 04:27 PM

Rob, Then you are lucky. I've read it sometimes have to do with the firewire cable quality. Bad cables increses the chance of a fried motherboard/mainboard.

I did it once, there was a spark between the cable and the cam, and it never worked again. I did a search on the problem and was told by a Canon Service guy here in Sweden to never have my cam on with connecting the firewire to the camera. And I've followed his advice and will in the future too.

Dennis, It took about 2 weeks here in Sweden. They had to get a new mainboard from Brussels. A mainboard is the main electronic component in the camera. Most signals and signal processing goes through the mainboard/motherboard and could in some ways be compared to the mainboard/motherboard in a computer.

Plan your time with no camera to fit a time when you don't have to shoot. If you have a lot of shoots coming up, plan them so you get some off time from shooting. Call your nearest canon service center to get a idea of their workload and for how you will be cam less.

Sorry for my bad English...

/Andreas

Dennis Robinson May 5th, 2004 05:13 AM

I have also just found out that as well as the firewire port not working, I am unable to get a signal from an external mic
Seems like nothing is able to go in or out. The on camera mic works but that is all.

Rob Lohman May 11th, 2004 06:38 AM

Are you sure you've setup the audio correctly? Perhaps it is indeed
time to send the camera in for servicing.

Nathan Gifford May 11th, 2004 06:51 AM

Like Rob I have never had any problems plugging and uplugging my firewire cables. I'll have to go check some notes, but I believe the spec on firewire allows for hot-swapping.

I have had problems with the NLE s/w not detecting the camera; that's an OS/applicaction problem.

Since you are using an external mic, be sure you have carefully set the correct controls and that the mic will work with the S's non-XLR system.