DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   XL1s "dirty heads" problem (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/25461-xl1s-dirty-heads-problem.html)

George Macdonald May 3rd, 2004 04:00 AM

XL1s "dirty heads" problem

Hi. A comparatively new user of digital camcorders I am having trouble with the appearance of the caution phrase "heads dirty - use cleaning cassette". The recommended usage period between cleans is 20 hours but I am finding tapes ruined by pixellation and mosaic noise after only a couple of hours use. What is considered "excessive use" of cleaning cassettes? And how detrimental to the heads is it. Is this an XL1s problem or is it common to all digital camcorders? Or have I just been unlucky?

I would welcome your advice.

Thanks.

George.

David Phillips May 3rd, 2004 12:43 PM

Hi George.
I too had the same problem when I first got the XL1s.
I couldn't get it to work at all 'till I'd put the cleaner tape through it. I'd then loose time-code at least twice during a 60 minute tape, having to use the cleaner to get it back.
It does seem to have settled down though, I've only used the cleaner about twice during the last 6 or 7 tapes since I switched to Panasonic MQ. But it's still a problem. I dread the T/C vanishing during a wedding ceremony.
Canon UK say they've not come accross the prob before, but then who trusts Canon.
Can't be more help, but in time it may sort itself out. If not, send it back.
Regards Dave

George Macdonald May 4th, 2004 01:10 PM

Thanks, David Phillips. I take it MC stands for Master Quality. I too have been using them, but mostly Panasonic Pro Quality. I'll cut out the PC to see what happens.

Thanks again.

George.

Clint Till May 16th, 2004 08:47 PM

Definitely stick with one brand tape. I personally use the Panasonic DVC Professional Super MiniDV tapes. Also, always shoot in SP, not LP.

Cliff Williams May 17th, 2004 09:37 AM

I got this message after eleven hours of use over the last 2.5 years.
It ended up chewing up two new tapes.
Sent it back to Canon UK Ltd

Tape mechanism is now fixed but Canon Technician has broken six different functions on the XL1-S camera including the all important menu button.
And they sent it back like that too!!!!!
Needless to say I am not very happy..........

George Macdonald May 20th, 2004 12:52 PM

Thanks Clint. Yes, I always use SP too. I can't see any point in spending all that money on a camcorder and then deliberately reducing the quality!

I have been using Panasonic Professional Quality and also Panasonic Master Quality tapes. Is the Pro Quality tape the one you are using?

Thanks Cliff. Well! My problems seem to pale into insignificance beside yours! It certainly sounds as if you got an engineer with a Monday AM hangover! Did you get it resolved?

Thanks all.

George.

Cliff Williams May 20th, 2004 04:32 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by George Macdonald : Thanks Clint. Yes, I always use SP too. I can't see any point in spending all that money on a camcorder and then deliberately reducing the quality!

I have been using Panasonic Professional Quality and also Panasonic Master Quality tapes. Is the Pro Quality tape the one you are using?

Thanks Cliff. Well! My problems seem to pale into insignificance beside yours! It certainly sounds as if you got an engineer with a Monday AM hangover! Did you get it resolved?

Thanks all.

George. -->>>

Not yet.
I lodged my complaint with the President of Canon Inc in Japan.
He never replied.
He passed it to Canon in the UK.
They rang me.
I told them that I wasnt accepting the camera back from repair as I dont know what other long term damage has been done.
Lot of " I understand Mr Williams"
Requested something in writing......3 times.
Still nothing.
They want me to return the camera and then they will reply.
I reckon they would jus tfix it and send it back which is entirely unacceptable given how thorough ( ahhemmm) the first repair was.

Looks like it is going to end up nasty next week.

Clint Till May 21st, 2004 02:08 PM

George, here's the number of the tapes I use: Panasonic AY-DVM80XJ. They are the DVC Professional grade (80 min.)