xl1s macro at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old May 8th, 2004, 01:14 PM   #1
New Boot

xl1s macro

I use an xl1s for closeup work on snakes but would like to try insects in the field, can anyone recommend a lens or a set up as the standard lens does not allow me to get in close enough many thanks Jerry
Old May 9th, 2004, 08:57 AM   #2
Major Player

For extreme close ups, the 14x manual lens is perfect. The zoom element has a macro button that allows the glass to nearly touch the subject while maintaining focus.
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2004, 09:40 AM   #3
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by Jimmy McKenzie : For extreme close ups, the 14x manual lens is perfect. The zoom element has a macro button that allows the glass to nearly touch the subject while maintaining focus. -->>> thankyou for the reply,will i be able to use the 14x lens in the field without a tripod?
Old May 9th, 2004, 02:50 PM   #4
Major Player

Hey Jerry,
Doing any kind of Extreme CU work demands a tripod. I do a lot of insect work & my favorite lens is a 75-300mm zoom (though I'd really like the 35-350mm) with the EF adapter. This allows you to get very close without having to be right on top of the subject, which means that they'll continue to "act natural". CU diopters also work great and of course are a lot cheaper (around $50 per set of 3). I use them also and they're a little more stable but you end up being very close to your subject.

Chris
Chris Korrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2004, 02:59 PM   #5
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Korrow : Hey Jerry,
Doing any kind of Extreme CU work demands a tripod. I do a lot of insect work & my favorite lens is a 75-300mm zoom (though I'd really like the 35-350mm) with the EF adapter. This allows you to get very close without having to be right on top of the subject, which means that they'll continue to "act natural". CU diopters also work great and of course are a lot cheaper (around $50 per set of 3). I use them also and they're a little more stable but you end up being very close to your subject.

Chris -->>>thanks for that Chris, is there no hand held system, as i will lose a lot of footage if i have to set up a tripod each time in the field?
Old May 12th, 2004, 02:50 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Jerry

You will no doubt lose more footage going hand held. Macro work is very delicate, and even the slightest movement of the lense can translate to an earthquake on tape. I have never heard of any macro work being conducted hand held. This being said, there are many different types of tripods that can accommodate for the need to be on the move. Though I agree, wildlife does not wait for you to set your shot....tripods are a necessity for any type of macro work.

The EF adapter option with the EOS lenses is your best bet for getting close. So close in fact that you can see the scales of a butterfly wing in full frame with the right set up....but even on a tripod you have to watch out for camera shake. You are just zoomed in so close to your subject that even a light breeze can ruin your shot.
Chris Staab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2004, 03:26 PM   #7
New Boot

Re: Jerry

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Staab : You will no doubt lose more footage going hand held. Macro work is very delicate, and even the slightest movement of the lense can translate to an earthquake on tape. I have never heard of any macro work being conducted hand held. This being said, there are many different types of tripods that can accommodate for the need to be on the move. Though I agree, wildlife does not wait for you to set your shot....tripods are a necessity for any type of macro work.

The EF adapter option with the EOS lenses is your best bet for getting close. So close in fact that you can see the scales of a butterfly wing in full frame with the right set up....but even on a tripod you have to watch out for camera shake. You are just zoomed in so close to your subject that even a light breeze can ruin your shot. -->>> thanks for the reply Chris, point taken, can anyone recommend a tripod that can be carried for a couple of hours at a time as my benbo weighs a ton?
Old May 12th, 2004, 03:57 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Manfrottos

Manfrottos have an extensive line of tripods that can suit really any needs. (No, I don't work for them...but maybe they SHOULD pay me for as many times as I endorse them!!!) If you have to carry for hours, you should get a strap to throw the stics on your back. That would take the weight from your arms, and free up one hand. Just a thought.
Chris Staab is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog