DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   reference tone for the XL-1. HELP! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/2586-reference-tone-xl-1-help.html)

Lee721347 July 1st, 2002 02:16 PM

reference tone for the XL-1. HELP!

I have been outputting my Mackie audio mixer to the RCA inputs on my XL-1. The XL-1 inputs are set for line level, which I believe is -10dB. It seems like I have to set my mixer at an extremely low level in order for the audio to not distort in the camera.

Does anyone have an idea where a 1kHz tone should be referenced on the XL-1? When I have set tone at 0dB on my mixer, that is way too hot a signal to send to the camera. Any suggestions??

Barry Goyette July 1st, 2002 02:44 PM

I'm no expert on this, but I was recently taping a ballet, and tapping into the theatre's sound board. We referenced off of a 0db tone with no problem, so I don't think its a problem at the camera (mine is an xl1s).

Jeff Donald July 1st, 2002 04:43 PM

The Mackie mixer should be set to unity, 0db, on the main mix. Main mix out, to line 1 in on the XL1 should produce 0 db on the XL1. Things to double check, are you using main mix out? what do you have the level set on audio 1? how is the balance set? Double check all your menu settings.

Jeff

Ed Frazier July 1st, 2002 07:45 PM

Lee, I use a Mackie with the XL1S all the time with excellent results recording some extremely loud sound levels. My mixer is the 1402VLZ Pro set as follows:

1. Adjust channel trim per Mackie instructions
2. Set Channel level to Unity Gain
3. Set Main Out to Unity Gain
4. I use XLR main outs with the level switch set to MIC.
5. Connect XLR cables to MA200 on Audio 1
6. Set Audio 1 input level to MIC - AGC is ON

Your circumstances may require manual mode rather than AGC so this may not work for you. Depending on the mixer model, you may also not have the MIC level option on the XLR main output.

Nathan Gifford July 1st, 2002 08:42 PM

A Couple of Ways.

I built a circuit to generate the signal using a design in one of the Radio Shack Engineers book and about $10 in parts. I have since taken all that apart because once I had transferred it to my computer I no longer needed it.

Another way is to use Vegas Video. I believe they have a 1KHz tone that you can download to XL-1 tapes or store in a file.

Nathan Gifford

Don Palomaki July 2nd, 2002 06:48 AM

0 dB on the XL1 VU meter corresponds to the maximum digital record level. As I recall, 0 dB on the Mackie is about 20 dB below the peak indication on the Mackie VU meter. I would consider setting a 0 dB tone on the Mackie to correspond to something between -12 dB and -18 dB on the XL1.

If using the MA-100 to couple balanced inputs, set the Mackie output to MIC level, DO NOT send a +4 dB signal to the MA-100, it will clip and distort. The MA-100 is designed for mic level input.