DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Returning from server crash... we're back. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/2617-returning-server-crash-were-back.html)

Chris Hurd July 10th, 2002 10:47 PM

Returning from server crash... we're back.

Okay, after being down for close to 24 hours, we're now back online with a few bumps and bruises. You may have noticed that we've lost about a week's worth of posts... I believe approximately 600 or so. The current count is 14,750 which is down from I think about 15,350. It really hurts but I'm grateful that it wasn't any worse than this. We've also lost track of about 40-something new members; if you're one of these folks, unfortunately you'll have to re-register.

This sort of thing is never predictable and always happens at the wrong time, but I'm working at this moment on finding a more reliable hosting solution with a back-up of the message board database every 24 hours. I've got to leave for MacWorld on Monday and will definitely find a new home for us before then.

In the meantime please accept my sincere apologies for this 40mph crash into a brick wall; the airbags have deployed and we've got a few seatbelt cuts and a broken tooth or two but we'll survive.

If you posted something last week, it's gone forever so if you can remember what we were talking about in this particular forum then by all means say it again!

Still shaking,

Ozzie Alfonso July 11th, 2002 10:05 AM

Gosh, just when the "XL-1 imaging problem" thread had gone over 10,000 and I finally posted all the NTSC specs the XL-1 doesn't meet. Remember the lyrics to "MacArthur Park"?

Oh well, it can be worse. To make you feel better - I had about 100 jpegs of the shoot I did. I documented all the lighting setups, all the camera angles, etc. Two weeks ago I had a crash and lost all but a couple. So, I feel your pain.

Bill Ravens July 11th, 2002 10:20 AM

YIKES....

my deepest sympathies to you Chris and to you Ozzie. What a nightmare. We learn to make backups only after a lot of pain, eh?

Ozzie Alfonso July 11th, 2002 10:32 AM

We learn to make backups after a lot of crashes, but the incentive wears off very fast. I thought my little VAIO would never crash. Yeah, right.

Nick Kerpchar July 11th, 2002 07:29 PM

Was anything new on the Pana DVX100 posted during the Crash of '02?

Chris, glad you are back up and running.

Nick

Chris Hurd July 12th, 2002 08:33 AM

We haven't had much news on the Panny 24p recently, so we didn't lose anything about it... wonder if it's time to devote a specific forum to it and start talking about it again?

Ozzie -- I keep telling myself that I really need to burn my entire image library onto CD's, but still haven't done it yet... I guess now is really the time!

Adam Wakely August 15th, 2002 06:54 PM

Happen to me to!

I just re-did everything back up from scratch!
I lost 2hrs of edited footage on my drive that I didn't transfer back to tape! I was taking a break and then a cable came off and detroyed my drives data! At the same time my system drive had major problems so I lost EVERYTHING! (well, almost)!

Thank goodness to hard copies of footage!

I'm getting used to losing all data! I can't even remember what I lost!