xl1 older style at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old July 11th, 2002, 11:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

xl1 older style

my old xl1 thanks to its 16x manual lens and a very good editor did the job. I shot some intvws. broll etc for a friend mixxed it into their pkg and made up about half the content matched with a beta crews footage quite well. it made air where I work ( a cable network from atlanta thats not about weather).

its not to toot my horn but the cameras (trust me my shooting is not that good) with the 16x manual lens and the good sound i have plus pushing a lowel pro light setup and again the Edit. You couldnt really tell the difference I also found out that a shooter we have fronm our S, Africa bureau shoots on xl1 older so if you watch cable news his stuff made it on air from israel and afghanistan...I didnt spot the difference. the xl1 can do some amazing stuff and these are the older models I wish I had the new model, but just proof it is broadcast and if you can match it with reasonably good sound and lighting it can be very forgiving.

michel
Michel Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2002, 08:43 PM   #2
ChorizoSmells

The old XL-1 still rocks!

congrats on getting on the air, I have an old XL-1 also and I love it, how true good lighting and sound will make the image a lot better.

I had the chance to use my friend's XL-1s while mine was in the shop, nice camera, I like the layout of the controls, much easier to adjust than the old XL-1, plus the added gain levels are nice to play with, got some cool noise effects, looked a little like grainy film when I shot it. maybe I'm used to my camera but I seemed to have more trouble focusing with the XL-1s, I can easily focus with my XL-1 but it took a little longer with the XL-1s. I wonder if the viewfinder is different.

I want to do a comparison shoot with my friend's camera and mine, shoot in a studio with the same lighting and see how they compare.

Try to find someone with an XL-1s and play around with it. I'll definetely get one in the future. For now, I'm happy with my old XL-1.
Old July 16th, 2002, 11:58 PM   #3
Wrangler

Here here!
Long live the XL1!
OK, so I've never used an XL1s, but I will get to soon I hope. I was going through some OLD footage on my OLD Sanyo 8mm camera (hey, it was pretty trick back in 1992 when *I* was in grade 10) and it really made me appreciate the quality picture the XL1 delivers. Sometimes with all the new (mostly minor) improvements, we tend to discard the slightly older stuff, which in reality is still pretty friggen good.
I don't plan on buying an XL1s. I'm going to keep my XL1 until the XL1s is replaced with something newer. And even then, I will probably still use it as a 2nd camera.
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2002, 11:03 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

I'm still shooting with a 1998 XL1 as a primary camera. Looks like I'm in good company here!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2002, 12:29 AM   #5
Regular Crew

You guys don't know what you're missing! The XL1s is sooooo much better than that old ancient regular XL1 that it makes it look like black and white video recorded on VHS at EP/SLP speed dubbed down 15 generations on generic tape! There are so many new advances in the spectacular XL1s you will think that you have been transported 200 years into a very futuristic future! Everybody who's anybody has an XL1s and makes fun of people with the old, wimpy, radically underpowered XL1. The XL1s is absolutely revolutionary compared to the XL1. There are tons of spectacular new features and millions of changes. I'd spend over $10,000 just for all of the new features the XL1s offers over the crusty XL1.

OK OK I am being sarcastic. I still use the XL1 (not s) as well and I absolutely love it. I see no reason to spend $4000 on a new camera that offers only minor upgrades. :)
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2002, 12:49 AM   #6
ChorizoSmells

Joe,
check out this other thread, http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&postid=15721&t=7602#post15721

I like my old XL-1 and I think my friend's lens was an fluke, the new xl-1s does have some nice features, us old timers with the orginal xl-1 will surely at one point go out and get the new xl-1s, I could probably trade my old xl-1 in and get a new xl-1s but an old friend like that is hard to part with.
Old July 18th, 2002, 10:21 PM   #7
Wrangler

Hmm... I think if I was going to sell my XL1 and spend an extra $1200 to get an XL1s, I'd keep the XL1 and buy a manual lens with the $1200. For some people the cost of the upgrade may be worth the money, but probably not for most. And knowing that a new model is close on the horizon, I'd hate to ditch my XL1 for an XL1s and then have to replace it again in a year. Of course, if I was going to buy a brand new camera right now, I'd get an XL1s for sure.
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2002, 12:35 AM   #8
Trustee

Ok guys. I'm pretty much sold on getting an old XL1 and using the xtra $$ for the rest of me dv kit but I hvae a couple a question. When I finally manage to find a second hand one, what are the key things I should watch out for and what tests should I do to make sure it's all sweet? I know the obvious like check it turns on and I can see through the evf and can record and playback footage, but what else should I look for? I've heard about some shifting focus problem on the old xl1? How do I check for that and is it a major issue?

Thanks
Aaron
Aaron Koolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2002, 06:35 AM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

Aaron

Absolutely the first thing you should do is send it in to Canon Service for a check-up and cleaning. Any problems will come to light there.

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2002, 08:38 AM   #10
Doconomus

Hello Gang:

I searched for this on the website but couldn't find it . . .

When you send your camera off for servicing, can you call to see if they've recieved the unit? Do they email, or contact you? Also, when you recieve the unit back, you get a piece of paper with what they checked and what was fixed, correct? Is there anything else?

Regards,

Kyle "Doc" Mitchell
Kyle "Doc" Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2002, 11:50 PM   #11
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Doc,

<< When you send your camera off for servicing, can you call to see if they've recieved the unit? >>

Sure, but give it a couple days first.

<< Do they email, or contact you? >>

Only if there's a $erious problem.

<< Also, when you recieve the unit back, you get a piece of paper with what they checked and what was fixed, correct? >>

Yes,

<< Is there anything else? >>

See the page called "The XL1 Skinny" on the Watchdog. Look for the notes about the procedure and contact info. A copy of the paperwork is there. Hope this helps,

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog