Transfer movie from XL1s to PC at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old May 23rd, 2004, 06:05 PM   #1
New Boot

Transfer movie from XL1s to PC

Hi;
Recently for the first time I tried to transfer my movie from my XL1s to my computer but my PC didn't recognised it. It says no Digital device connected but when I use my sony and panasonic camera it work. What is wrong I don't know? I use fire wire to trasfer my videos.

thank you
Old May 23rd, 2004, 06:15 PM   #2
Trustee

What type capture program are you using?
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2004, 02:07 AM   #3
RED Code Chef

Did you have your XL1S turned on and in VCR mode? Might also
be a problem with your firewire cable.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2004, 05:57 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Are you using Windows XP? or Mac. I couldnt help you with macintosh at all as I do not have any experience beyond looking at one :) but Windows XP can almost detect anything as soon as it is plugged in. I personally dont use my XL1s for transferring footage to my PC as it wears on the heads of the deck faster than if you only recorded with it. I use my JVC dvl915 weakling (but still nice consumer camera) to transfer footage and for playback. It now stirkes me as odd since I don't remember getting any driver CD with my xl1s kit. If yours came with a driver CD stick it in and let it do its thing when your computer tells you it cant recognize the new device that was installed, or contact canon where they may be able to direct you to a driver for the xl1s.

edit: that is only if you are sure that it was in VCR mode ;)
Christopher Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2004, 05:54 PM   #5
Wrangler

I just tested with my XL-1 and it does not have to be in VCR mode to be recognized under Windows XP Home Edition. It will put out a live A/V feed tthrough the firewire port with or without a tape. I had the camera in full manual setting. Windows even lets me snap a still picture of the video (not using the photo button on the camera) by clicking take picture.

Hope this helps. I would assume the XL-1s is capable of the same thing in this regard.

regards,
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog