DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   XL1s / XL1 Cross-Playback Problem (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/2663-xl1s-xl1-cross-playback-problem.html)

Peter Sheppard July 13th, 2002 10:41 AM

I have an unusual problem that perhaps can be solved before I send my XL1 back to Canon. I have been using an Xl1 for four years, with hardly any complaints(except for the infamous focus drift problem when zooming).I had it serviced in April 2002, and incurred a Canon charge of $400.which included checking drum alignment and "returning to factory specs".......In the meanwhile, I purchased a new XL1s, which is performing very well. But here is the problem: tapes recorded in the XL1s do not play back properly on the newly repaired XL1....at each new scene, the image shows about 25% of the bottom half of the picture at the top of the frame.....this continues for a few seconds, with some random pixilization of the image, then shows normaly, only to repeat the problem at the next scene change. The same tape plays back perfectly on the XL1 s that was used for recording, and it also plays back perfectly on a Sony VX700 that is about 5years old. The strange thing is that tapes made using the XL1 play back fine on the XL1 or the new XL1s! Ive tried cleaning the XL1 head with a dry head cleaner, no improvement. I`m using sp mode , and regular frame mode.
It simply appears that tapes shot on the XL1s do not play back properly on the newly repaired XL1.......any ideas folks?

Ken Tanaka July 13th, 2002 11:44 AM

shepsphoto,
I have split your post into a separate thread since the other thread deals with a very specific topic.

Jeff Donald July 13th, 2002 06:37 PM

Time to talk to the folks at Canon. The repaired XL1 has a playback problem. I'm suspecting alignment, because it plays back it's own tapes but not others. Document as best possible your troubles and talk to Canon.

Jeff

Chris Hurd July 13th, 2002 10:50 PM

When you send it back, include one of your old XL1 tapes and tell 'em you want your XL1S tweaked to play that tape properly. They can't do this unless you send them one of your older XL1 tapes.

Peter Sheppard July 15th, 2002 02:20 PM

Thanks for your suggestions....I just spoke to a Canon XL1 tech (XL1 camera club hotline) and he says that "it is not uncommon" that a tape shot in one DV camera will not play back properly on another unit...after all he says"its digital, not analog"...what the ......is he talking about? He said it would not make sense sending the camera back, because if it records and plays back its own tapes without a problem, "there is not a service issue". I`m really not happy with this response....why can tapes I shoot on the XL1S play back fine on a Sony DV Cam deck, a Sony vX1000 and VX700, and not on a Canon XL1 that has just (April2002) had its Drum/tape path checked, Annual cleaning and Adjust to Specs done by Canon at a cost of $400.00.....If this is the response that is given to Canon XL1 owners....Iwill look more closely at other Brands before my next purchase

Don Palomaki July 15th, 2002 07:12 PM

Analog tends to degrades slowly, digital falls of the table when it becomes noticeable. But the response is not what anyone wants to hear, espeicvallyif you are using SP speed. If the tapes are at LP, that is a documented problem in the realworld and in the manual.

Call another time and get a different rep, or ask to speak with a supervisor.

Justin Chin July 16th, 2002 12:58 AM

Yeah, that's a horrible response. What am I supposed to do if I shoot for a client, and then hand off the tapes to them for editing? I'm not going to give them my camera to roll playback and capture.

For the record I've never had a playback problem from camera to camera. I still play some tapes from my VX1000 on my XL1.

Chris Hurd July 17th, 2002 11:12 PM

Service will tweak the camera to properly play an older tape that you send in with the camera. It's not considered a "repair," just a customer satisfaction adjustment. Send it in with the request to have it play back the included cassette and they'll do it.

Peter Sheppard July 18th, 2002 07:34 AM

Thanks Chris, Iwill try again with Canon service...please note that I am not talking about older tapes, but tapes I`m shooting now on the XL1s, have the problem on playback with the XL1. Will post results, Regards Sheps.

Peter Sheppard July 27th, 2002 12:05 PM

Well, after a week or so, I have found that tapes shot on the New XL1s are NOT playing back properly, even on the same unit.....tapes shot on my older XL1 play back fine on the XL1s.....so, I have sent the XL1s back for service and factory correction..It is only 4months old and has shot about 25 tapes..could be dust, sand or other reason for problem,as I do a lot of outdoo shooting...will see if Canon indicates what was wrong.

Peter Sheppard August 13th, 2002 12:32 PM

Sent back my XL1s to Canon on Aug 24th, and it was serviced and returned on Aug 31st , no charge for service or parts ....excellent service from Canon, again making the XL1 owners club worth the money, since both my XL1 and Xl1s are covered under the membership program....the camera now records and plays back without the defects earlier mentioned, and the tapes also play back fine on other cameras...thanks to Chris and others for their suggestions...(I sent a "bad " tape with the camera so they could see the problem.) Peter Sheppard, (shepsphoto)

Chris Hurd August 14th, 2002 02:24 PM

Thanks for posting about the results of your experience, Peter... glad to hear it had a happy ending!

Erwin Vanderhoydonks July 19th, 2005 08:50 AM

I have the same problem

I have the same problem with my XL1. Take a look at
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=47955