Scott Billups' charts shot with XL-1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old May 28th, 2004, 07:49 AM   #1
New Boot

Scott Billups' charts shot with XL-1

Scott Billups has demonstrated some impressive results shooting his charts using an XL-1 with both auto and manual lenses and recording to tape vs. direct to disk.

I've included the link below for anyone who's interested in viewing/commenting. To my eyes, the direct to disk shots are crisper, and the chart shot using a "broadcast" lens is amazing.

Would love to hear some opinions on Billups' test.

Thanks.

http://pixelmonger.com/graphicref194
Old May 29th, 2004, 11:11 AM   #2
New Boot

Thanks for the images.

But I don't get it. Why does the image change using the same lens but using tape vs. disk?

Thanks,
Ron
Ron Lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2004, 12:15 PM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

It doesn't. DV is DV. To suggest a distinction based on recording medium would be directly analogous to suggest that the contents of a computer file depends on whether it's stored on your hard disk or a CD.

As a stand-alone exhibit the images are not useful for many reasons. Scott's a very savvy fellow and he certainly knows this. Since I've not seen the context in which he presents the images (i.e. an article?) I certainly would not comment further on such an out-of-context exhibit.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2004, 12:57 PM   #4
Major Player

The image titled "Canon-Broadcast Lens-SDI" does indeed look significantly better, and that is because it is not DV. It was shot with Billups homemade Digibeta Direct-to-disc camera.

That isn't made completely clear on his site, but I emailed him a while back about that and he clarified it for me.

The first 4 images are from an XL-1. From what I understand, the final image is taking an RGB signal off the chips of an old Beta camera he modified. The signal is sent through a (Miranda, I think) A/D converter, and sent through SDI into his Mac for capture at 4:2:2 uncompressed.

There is a picture of his camera at the bottom of his camera page, next to Dan's VanceCam.

-Luis
Luis Caffesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2004, 08:50 AM   #5
RED Code Chef

Some more thoughts on this by me in this thread.

Those pictures are useless without an explanation on how they
where "captured". As Ken also pointed out. miniDV tape and
direct-to-disk record the exact same signal.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2004, 11:31 AM   #6
New Boot

Thanks all for the considered investigation.

Michael

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog