First Impressions - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old July 17th, 2002, 04:36 PM   #16
Major Player

Heck I am a triathlete and this camera flat wore me out! I guess I need to train with my XL1s in hand on my long runs. :)
Houston, Texas
Paul Sedillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2002, 04:51 PM   #17
Quantum Productions

Hit those weights hard! Dead lifts!! YA! :)
Old July 17th, 2002, 05:14 PM   #18
Major Player

I think an XL1 boot camp is in order?

Casey Visco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2002, 05:40 PM   #19
Wrangler

Well, there is a very specific type of muscle fatigue going on with camera operating. It's usually not so much the dead weight of the system (couldn't really be, considering how light the camera actually is) but the fact that you are usually attempting to hold it as still as possible when shooting handheld. The demands this places on the arms and shoulder are to hold this somewhat awkward object, remain virtually motionless and/or make minute, subtle movements with the same muscles that are holding the thing up. Add to that the assymetric configuration (holding the camera on one shoulder) and the potentially awkward position that your hands may be in (ever find your right hand cramping from the pressure from the handgrip?).

It used to be popular for camera operators to practice Tai Chi to learn how to move the body as smoothly as possible, since your every movement translates into the frame. There is certainly a zen involved, controlling breathing and conserving energy and all that. Being as relaxed as possible helps with the stamina issues; tensing against the camera body will lead to "the shakes" much sooner.
Old July 17th, 2002, 08:44 PM   #20
Wrangler

I had mine out for 4 hours of non continuous shooting on Sunday. By then end of the day, I had some nasty lower back pain from arching my back slightly backwards to maintain my shooting position and help balance the camera better.

I got my new shoulder mount on Monday. :)
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2002, 09:21 PM   #21
Wrangler

I don't really see a lot of difference between the SP-100 and the MA-100. They're both junk. My two cents.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2002, 09:44 PM   #22
Contributor

Hey, switch to Sony VX2000 or JVC Streamcoder, how much shoulder support do they offer? ;-)
http://www.dolgin.net
Alex Dolgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2002, 10:44 PM   #23
Quantum Productions

Dylan...

How is the new shoulder mount? Try it out yet? I'm curious as I like comfort! And I also agree that both shoulder mounts that are for the XL1 both suck! Mounts like the SP7 are excellent but who can afford them? I will save that money and suffer once in a while.
Old July 18th, 2002, 12:04 AM   #24
Wrangler

So far it feels like a 10x improvment over the SP-100.
Wait, 10 x zero is still zero... :)
Anyway, it's a lot better. I'll get a good workout with it this weekend hopefully.
In terms of stability, there is no question, it's much more stable. More comfortable too, but I think I will be adding some extra foam.

Glad I got one with one handle, not two, as I can adjust the lens and settings while maintaining balance with one hand. Also makes the rig look a lot more professional than it already is.
Old July 18th, 2002, 12:45 AM   #25
Quantum Productions

Dylan, what was the type you bought?
Old July 18th, 2002, 06:14 AM   #26
Major Player

Adam, I assume he is talking about the Image 2000...but if not then please ignore my next question...

i've been debating over the one handle or two handle version...it seems to me the two handle would be a lot more stable, and less fatiguing, as the weight is distributed more evenly to both arms.

So how is that one handle vs two?

Casey Visco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2002, 01:22 PM   #27
Slash Rules!

What happened to our friend the SP7 MediaPro? Granted I still haven't gotten mine yet (I ordered it three weeks or so ago from ZGC -- sounds like Chris needs to spank them).
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2002, 09:43 PM   #28
Wrangler

I bought a Mightywondercam!
It is the one that was advertized in the classified section here. I had bought it earlier, but it showed up on Monday.

Apologies to anyone I beat out on Ebay. :)

Anyway, one hand on the handle and one on the camera handhold distributes the weight between both hands. I think if you had a two handle unit, and you wanted to only use one hand, so the other could hit the focus button or adjust any other settings, you might have some wobbly video as the horizon tilt would be off balance. I could be wrong, but that's just what I see. If you planned on not adjusting anything, and had a remote zoom, a two handled one would be the superior choice.
Old July 18th, 2002, 10:31 PM   #29
Quantum Productions

Invention time...

The Wondercam support bracket gave me an idea! (not necessarily better but no cost for me as I already have the parts)

I have an old article on this site regarding a flip out LCD monitor for the XL1. (in "Electronic View Finder/add an LCD to your XL1" section) Notice the last picture of the camera and bracket attatched. Move the bracket to the tripod thread instead and then remove the LCD! Now screw a handle to the bottom of the same hole where the LCD was. (I used the top handle part of my Mono Pod that I had cut down to the end of the hand grip). Now I basically have a "similar" "Wondercam" type bracket! I'm still using the XL1 shoulder mount. The handle/bracket are adjustable forward or back and takes all the pressure off my right hand in the handle/zoom area! I can still use my left hand on other buttons or the lens and I don't notice the bracket and short handle. It works great! Fortunately, I already had these parts and I don't know if you can still buy them anywhere. (only negative thing is that I have to disconnect if I want to connect to a tripod). I'll try to make a picture of it connected and post it somewhere.
Old July 29th, 2002, 03:29 AM   #30
Quantum Productions

My homemade support bracket worked great at a long wedding ceremony! I think I'll keep it! :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog