Another questions of the XL1s at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old May 31st, 2004, 08:42 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Another questions of the XL1s

I heard from a slighty uncredible source that the stock XL1s comes with plastic lenses instead of glass. Now I do not know if he meant just the detachable one or the ones in the body of the camera, but he said it costed a couple thousand dollars to insert glass ones in. I wanted to know if this is true that the lenses are plastic, and if so, does it create a huge difference in the picture as opposed to glass. Can someone please just give me some credible information.

Thanks,
Mitch
Mitch Buss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2004, 09:01 PM   #2
Trustee

I don't know what is your source but don't beleive them! The 16X lens is a great piece of real glass.
Old May 31st, 2004, 09:18 PM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Mitch,
As Jean-Philippe noted, your source is badly informed. It's an excellent piece of glass for the money.

Good for you coming here to ask!

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2004, 09:45 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Are there any lenses in the body of the camera that he may have been referring to? I just want to be sure that I do not have to go spending another couple thousand dollars on replacing these.

Also, just out of curiosity, how much does a Mini 35 kit cost? I've been seeing lots of people talk about them and my curiosity has been fully peaked.

Mitch
Mitch Buss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2004, 09:59 PM   #5
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Quote:
Are there any lenses in the body of the camera that he may have been referring to?
The viewfinder's lens may be plastic. But basically, no. Your friend's just misinformed.
Quote:
Also, just out of curiosity, how much does a Mini 35 kit cost?
Approximately $10,000 new. This does not include lenses. You can learn more about it at ZGC's site. They are also a dealer for P+S Technik. I think many, probably most, users rent the adapter and prime lenses for specific projects.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2004, 11:34 PM   #6
Wrangler

Mitch, your friend wins a prize for craziest rumour of the year for sure!
Wait a sec.... He doesn't work for Panasonic or Sony, does he? :)
Old June 1st, 2004, 06:37 AM   #7
Warden

In uninformed circles, the 16x white lens, is referred to as a plastic lens. The outer case is a composite material, but so are football helmets. Most cameras and lenses use composite materials to reduce weight and costs. The white color is used to reduce thermal expansion, which can change the way a lens focuses.

In regards to plastic internal components, specifically the optical elements, most if not all are probably glass. However, it should be noted that many of the finest lenses today use plastic. Canon perfected (and patented) a means of partially molding aspherical lenses. So, if you have a lens with an aspherical element, it more than likely contains plastic. Canon licenses this technology, so most manufactures use this technique today. Zeiss and Leitz (Leica) still grind most of their aspherical elements, so that's one reason why they offer $2000+ wide angle lenses.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog