lead for XL1s Mic at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old June 3rd, 2004, 12:52 PM   #1
Regular Crew

lead for XL1s Mic

I was wondering if anyone new if there was an extensioin lead I could get for the XL1S mic. I want to take the mike a few feet away from the camera (mainly to get rid of the hum from the camera) but due to the set up of the audio and the size of the the power plug for the mic I cannot just use any old connectors. Is there a lead that exists that has the two types of connectors found on the mic, if yes, any ideas as to where I can get one. Or at least anyone know where I can find the tiny connectors that power the mic, do they have a name to the size they are.

Thanks in advance

Andy
Andrew Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2004, 07:33 PM   #2
Wrangler

Most folks make their own extensions, not sure who migh be selling pre-made cords. Some Radio Shack stores, and many electronics parts stores, will have the the 2.5mm sub-mini phone jack and plug you need to make the power portion of the cord. The mic portion is a standard 3.5mm (or 1/8") stereo mini-phjhone jacl/plug. Be aware that long cords can pick-up noise because they are a unbalanced system.
Old June 7th, 2004, 10:20 AM   #3
Regular Crew

how would you go about making a cord a balanced system?

Regards
Gavin Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2004, 04:32 AM   #4
Wrangler

First you would need a balanced mic, and the stock mic furnished with the XL1 series is not a balanced output mic.

If you do need long runs and are going to use the XL1 mic (or other unbalancd source), you could buy an adapter to balance the signal out of the mic at the mic, then use standard XLR-equipped mic cables. Of course you still have to power the mic, and that can be a bit tricky
Old June 8th, 2004, 06:05 AM   #5
Regular Crew

ic, thanks for the heads up their
Gavin Thomas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog