New camera: xl1s, dvx100a, gl2??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old June 4th, 2004, 10:36 AM   #1
Regular Crew

New camera: xl1s, dvx100a, gl2???

Hello all,

I am wanting to add a new camera to our "toolbox". My paid work is primarily healthcare training videos and corporate/industry stuff. For fun I do some motocross videos and some weddings for friends/family.

Currently I have an XL1 (not s) and need a second camera for multiple angle shots, covering large motocross tracks, etc. I figure since I am buying a new cam, I might as well look at options out there.

I am thinking of either a GL2, XL1 or DVX100. I do not currently use anything beyond the stock lenses (with some filters), so interchangable lenses is not a big issue. The 24P of the DVX certainly has my curiousity/interest.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Josh Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2004, 10:55 AM   #2
Major Player

I think this is a question that gets asked fairly often around here... do a search and I"m sure you'll get tons of information and comparisons.

24p for Motocross. Don't know... I talked with someone not long ago that told me that he was having a horrible time with doing any kind of (moderately) fast panning and strobing. I'm sure others here know lots more then me but do that search and I"m sure you'll see some of what you are looking for and if not ask specifics.
Kevin Burnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2004, 11:00 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Kevin. I will dig around :)
Old June 4th, 2004, 01:03 PM   #4
Wrangler

Get the GL2. Footage from a DVX100 won't match your XL1 footage, so you don't get the benefit of a 2 camera setup. I'd take the GL2 over another XL1 because it gives you the flexibilty of a small camera, and of course, saves you $1000.
Old June 4th, 2004, 06:19 PM   #5
Regular Crew

The footage matching issues is a good point Dylan. Thanks!
Old June 9th, 2004, 12:02 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Josh-

Hope to help here. I have a GL2 and an XL1s.

I purchased the GL2 first as I was doing sportbike racing video. The GL2 was perfect for this, I'm sure you'll be in a similar situation with motocross. I was in the same boat when I got my XL1s (lots of flip floping ideas, seeing what else was out there, so on).

I'm very happy to have the pair I have, and here are some reasons why:

1. The cameras function very similarly. The menus, verbage for what balance, "CP" modes, and so on. Controls are similar, and they just seem to "think" alike in many ways. My wife is my wedding assistant, and I needed a cam she could easily adapt to, so sticking with a single brand Canon line was perfect for us.

2. Any of the smaller cams will do fine on the track, as they are light and easy to hop from one corner to the other and still get your shot. Note though, the optical zoom on the GL2 is one of the best in class - a major help to reach out and snatch that jumble of bikes out on the far corner.

3. Photo quality will actually be higher than your XL with the GL2. The GL2 puts out a much sharper image than my XL1s, though the XL has much better color reproduction - but straight up clairity the GL2 looks darn near high definition at first glance.

4. When shooting riders, I'll share some advice - NEVER use any sort of frame/pgrogressive mode - just use standard interlaced video. In the psudo frame modes, fast bikes seem to strobe a bit as the come into view. Just stick to normal mode in full manual, and you'll be set.

5. The only reason to consider the others (like the Sony PD's or whatever) is that they have much better low light abillity - major help in weddings, but balance it all out, and I still think the Canon line is a better bet - especially that youy already use your gear perfesionally and are obviously hepful with it.

Hope that helps!!
Kevin King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2004, 09:04 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks very much Kevin. Those tips are very helpful.
Old June 15th, 2004, 07:05 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Kevin gave great advice. I also have a GL2 and XL1-S. I shoot 100% hand held, primarily travel video and zoos. I shoot 75% of the time using a 1:16 teleconverter on the XL1-S. I love the stability shoulder mounted with the MA-200, and 2 batteries to counter balance the weight. It is a dream to shoot - never a shake.

On the other hand, the GL2 is sharper, lighter and much easier to carry, but not nearly as stable on the long zoom shots as the XL1-S.

I bought the GL2 as a "travel" camera; but the XL1-S is my hands down favorite because of the stability, eyepiece size, button construction, magnesium frame (solid build).

I recommend either over the SONY due to the quality of the Canon optics. You will not regret it!
John C Heid is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog