Serial Numbers on body/lens HELP! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old June 7th, 2004, 08:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Serial Numbers on body/lens HELP!

I thought that the serial # on the lens was the same serial # on the body but backwards, but the #'s are not making any sense to me.
I have 2 xl1s' and they both have the standard lens.

The serial # on the bat. compartment of the camera and the serial # on the back of the lens is where I'm looking.

Is that correct?

Please help, urgent.
Bernard Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2004, 09:30 PM   #2
Wrangler

Hi Bernard,

I'm not sure what's causing your concern. All I can tell you is that I have two XL1s' as well, and I never worried that the serial numbers on the lenses don't come anywhere near to matching the camera bodies' numbers. All that mattered to me is that each warranty card # matched what had been shipped to me.

Does that help at all?
Lorinda Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2004, 04:34 AM   #3
Wrangler

You have the correct locations, and do not expect the serial number on the lens to match the number on the body.
Old June 8th, 2004, 06:21 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info guys.
I sold one of my lenses yesterday and I couldn't figue out which lens came with the brand new camera I bought in June '03.
The 2nd cam I bought was in such good shape that I couldn't distinguish between the 2.
The reason I wondered was because I read somewhere that the lens that comes with the body works slightly better than if you were to place another lens on same body.
I called Canon and they told me that my worries were unsubstantiated as the lenses are manufactured separate from the bodies and that the bodies are not specifically made for specific bodies.
I guess it's true what they say about not believing everything you read:D
Bernard Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2004, 08:18 PM   #5
Wrangler

Interesting considering that backfocus is set in the body, so it appears to me that it would be most precise with the acutal lens used to set the parameters. But if all lenses are made equal ...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog