Canon 28-135mm IS USM is perfect! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old July 19th, 2002, 04:26 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon 28-135mm IS USM is perfect!

I just bought the Canon 28-135mm lens for use on my XL1s. For those of you not familiar with the lens, it has a stationary front element (great for polarizers), a fantastic Image Stabilizer, and uses the same size filters as the stock lens. I bought it primarily for macro use (3/4" fills the frame at 9" from the front element), but it turns out to out perform the stock lens by a long shot. First I can handhold it through out the zoom range, which is 200mm to 972mm on the XL1s. Secondly the manual focus is much better than on the stock lens. I could focus on my cat's whiskers from 30 feet away. I also noticed that the colors seem more vivid with virtually no bleed. I thought it was impossible to get a sharp focus with the CVF, but with this lens everything I've done so far is right on, even when viewed on a 63 wide screen monitor!
Old July 19th, 2002, 05:30 PM   #2
Warden

It is a very fine lens. Canon did a great job on it. If you end up needing something longer try out the Canon EOS EF 70 - 300mm IS lens. It complements the 28 - 135mm nicely. It's filter size is smaller, but optically they match real well. Enjoy, and have fun shooting.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2002, 09:18 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Jeff -

The 70-300mm is the next thing on my wish list. With the 3 lenses I should be set for anything that comes along.
Old July 20th, 2002, 12:04 AM   #4
Wrangler

How much was it?

This is with the lens adapter, right? We aren't talking about one that mounts right to the xl1.
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2002, 09:12 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Yes, this lens requires the lens adapter. I paid $419.95 for the lens and $439.95 for the EF adapter at B&H. Canon has a $10.00 rebate on the lens. B&H also sells a gray market lens for less money, but without warranty. If I had shopped around more I probably could have found a better price, but B&H is a good outfit to deal with. I buy most of my gear through them or ZGC.
Old July 20th, 2002, 03:59 PM   #6
Wrangler

It has a stabilizer too? How wide is it? Might be nice to see a few pictures.

Do you have a URL for the lens?

Nathan Gifford
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2002, 04:07 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Here is the link for the lens:

http://www.usa.canon.com/eflenses/lineup/standard/index.html

You'll find the picture, dimensions, etc. there. Yes the lens has an image stabilizer and it's excellent. With a little care I was able to shoot at full zoom (972mm) handheld. The camera plus lens is so heavy I wouldn't be able to do it for very long, but good for those quick shots when you don't have time to setup.
Old July 21st, 2002, 11:04 AM   #8
Trustee

If your XL1 is getting too heavy, and you don't have a lot of money for a steadicam, you should check into The MARzPAK™ handheld camera support system. About $400 plus some shipping. All you
do it put it on like a backpack, clip in the camera and go. The russian tank of handheld support.

I don't even try to shoot without mine now, and
when I do, I wonder how I ever got through a shoot.

*ALERT* I am the co inventor of this device,
but I stand behind what I claim.

You can see some stuff about it on Mr. Hurd's Watchdog or go to www.marztech.com for lots of info and details.

Thanks for the report on this lens, I will have to afford it now. It is amazing the quality jump when using better glass! The color is way better, the images sharper, and getting focus is SOOO easy.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog