FU-1000 monochrome B&W CRT viewfinder - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old January 22nd, 2005, 09:06 PM   #76
Regular Crew

I was using AC to power my viewfinder and it did burn out, luckily it was still under waranty and was repaired.
Dan O'Bannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2005, 10:37 PM   #77
Wrangler

Dan,

I seem to recall an earlier thread here discussing that same problem. If memory serves correctly, it was stated that you can't run the FU-1000 off of the AC adapter for the very reason you experienced. Supposedly, there is a warning against doing this in the Canon docs somewhere.

I don't believe this applies to the XL-2.

=gb=
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2005, 11:32 AM   #78
Regular Crew

Page 15 of the Canon Monochrome CRT Viewfinder Unit FU-1000 owners manual I recieved with my FU-1000 viewfinder:

Notes on using the FU-1000

"The FU-1000 cannot be powered from an AC/mains outlet (with the CA-900/CA-910 Compact Power Adapter) or from your car battery (with the CB-900/CB910 Car Batery Adapter). You must use a batery pack (or two with the CH-900/CH-910 Dual Batery Charger/Holder* (sold separately) to power and use the FU-1000."

Hope that helps

Dan
Dan O'Bannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2005, 01:49 PM   #79
Wrangler

That's interesting, Dan. I'm now wondering if this limitation does, in fact, apply to the XL-2. I don't have the FU-1000 yet but I would think with the native plug in support for the B/W that the XL-2 is ok. I know the XL-2 supports an extra contact in the battery compartment which is only activated when the AC adapter is attached. It cuts off the battery level display in the viewfinder but it might also be used to let the camera know how to differenty handle the B/W VF if present.

Perhaps someone with XL-2 and B/W VF can check this out.

=gb=
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2005, 03:59 PM   #80
Trustee

Nonochrome viewfinder questions

After reading numerous posts, and reading Ken Tanaka's thorough review at-
http://www.dvinfo.net/canon/articles/article83.php, I ordered the fu-1000 viewfinder. I've been having some focus problems, mainly indoors and in lower light conditions, under chaotic conditions.We've been doing some shooting for a local pol running for sate senate, and the conditions have been pretty bad. I'm hoping that my 57 year old eyes will have an easier time with the fu-1000.
Have any of you used it in run and gun type situations? Under what conditions has it been most helpfull? Since there is no battery status info, does anyone have any idea of how long a Canon 945 will typically last? ( I have an AB dionic 90 also, but was wondering about the stock batteries usage.)

Thanks in advance for any help.
Bruce S. Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2005, 04:56 PM   #81
Inner Circle

Bruce,

The battery indicator is present when using it on an XL2.

I use it exclusively. Finished a doc with it, used it night and day, run and gun. It is heavier, of course, so figure that in. I also used a dual batt pack, so I never noticed how much drain there was. THe manual outlines the different drain rates for vewfinder and lens combos.

In short, it's worth every penny.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2005, 08:29 PM   #82
Trustee

Thanks, Richard. That's good news. So you're saying that while the battery indicator didn't work ojn the XL1, it does on the XL2?
I'm lloking forward to getting mine tommorrow.
Bruce yarock
Old June 7th, 2005, 08:25 PM   #83
Inner Circle

Congrats on getting the FU-1000. Would you consider selling the stock color FU-500 to me? Have a XL1s body with no viewfinder! I have 57 year old eyes too, but can't afford the B&W. I used to live in Sunrise, now in Ft. Pierce.

Best of luck---Mike
Mike Teutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2005, 11:03 AM   #84
Trustee

Mike,
Thanks for the offer, but I'm going to keep it.If the new one ever went out, I'd have a back up. Also, if i ever sold the xl2 (way down the road), i would have to sell it without the viewfinder (which may not be available then).
I see you're in Ft. Pierce...I'm up there every so often. Email your phone number, and I'll give you a call.
Bruce yarock
yarock at aol dot com.
Old February 27th, 2006, 07:58 PM   #85
New Boot

FU-1000 cable Stretch?

This is my first post so here goes... I'm considering purchasing a FU-1000 B/W viewfinder for my XL1s. Does any one know if the use of the Lightwave SI-XL System Isolator creates any connection problems for the viewfinder since it will move it forward 60MM. Currently I have no problem with the color viewfinder and the Isolator. Since the FU-1000 connects to rear battery adapter will the cable be long enough? I just don't know!
Thanks!
Brian Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 05:04 PM   #86
Major Player

hi brian... i'm pretty sure the fu1000's cord(s) are not long enough to use with the lightwave system isolator on any xl camera, unless there are some custom cable extensions i don't know about. also, the fu1000 is significantly heavier than the stock viewfinder, and putting the system isolator between the body and the much heavier viewfinder might be asking for trouble. the mic mount on the fu1000 is the same size as on the stock viewfinder, so you can use the lightwave mini mount if you're looking to reduce camera noise hitting tape.
Henry Cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 06:17 PM   #87
New Boot

Thanks Henry!
That's what I kinda figured.. I already have the mini mount so I hope It will suffice.. Decisions, Decisions!
Brian Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2007, 05:13 AM   #88
New Boot

I'm sure i have plugged my XL1S with CRT finder directly into the mains using the supplied mains adapter (though the FU-1000 adapter). Is this not allowed according to the manual above????
Gaven Eogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 05:47 AM   #89
New Boot

I use CRT NTSC viewfinder converted to PAL on my XL1s. No problems with "non-Canon" batteries so far.
Jan Mitacek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 07:51 AM   #90
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Mitacek View Post
I use CRT NTSC viewfinder converted to PAL on my XL1s. No problems with "non-Canon" batteries so far.
Jan, this is an old thread. But I'm guessing your 'non Canon' batteries are still direct replacements that fit into the same place a Canon battery would so you wouldn't have any connectivity issue.

The Anton Bauer batteries are very large and have to sit on the rear of the camera via a Gold Mount adapter plate. That plate has a cable that goes to where the original battery would go on the side of the camera. This was the reason for the incompatibility with the original XL1/s cameras. The FU-1000 has that inline tap for the older cameras, but the XL2 finally included an additional plug for the FU-1000 right under the color vf plug. This eliminated the need for the inline power tap, which in turn allowed using the AB adapter cable in the battery tray.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog