Warm Cards at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old June 23rd, 2004, 10:51 PM   #1
New Boot

Warm Cards

Anyone use warm cards with their XL1? Suppose to improve flesh tones. I use the presets when it comes to white balancing as I've found they are better 99% of the time in getting a good image, so I'm wondering if using these cards and going manual for white balance will improve the image.
Bob Andren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2004, 11:07 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Hi Bob,
The WarmCards perform as advertised. They will require some experimentation to learn. Whether or not they will "improve the image" for you will depend largely on the settings in which you apply them.

Personally, I like the flesh tones that the XL1S generally produces with normal white card white balance. People look alive. So I do not use them to enhance people on the XL1S. But that's largely a matter of preference.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2004, 11:59 PM   #3
New Boot

Thank you

Thank you Ken for the prompt reply.

Also belated thanks to you and a few others who responded to postings I did about a month and a half ago about lens questions I had for the XL1; May and early soon were rough months, had a lot of unexpected developments to deal with, hence the delayed Thank You to you and the others. Was much appreciated.
Bob Andren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2004, 12:40 AM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Happy to help, Bob.

One last tip particularly applicable to WarmCards. Be very careful to (a) fill the frame with the card in focus, and (b) set proper exposure on the cards -before- you strike your white balance. This latter point is particularly important since the cards' effects are highly dependent on their calibrated colors being faithfully seen by the CCD's.

Have fun!

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog