funny business (xl1-s) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old July 12th, 2004, 09:51 AM   #1
Regular Crew

funny business (xl1-s)

So, ive had my xl1-s for about 4 months. Ive used it id say for about 25 hours recording and same for playback to capture. I am considering buying another low end dv camera to playback these tapes, rather than burn out my xl1. All of a sudden, im having trouble with tapes. the motors inside are making painful noises like the tape is stuck. ive had trouble removing the tape. it wont record or playback smoothly. This only began happening last night, but im afraid to do anything without knowing what i SHOULD do. I got the tape out finally. I know that i have used about 3 diferent brands of tapes. Do cheap dv tapes cause problems? Why did this happen to me? does god hate me? HELP
Old July 12th, 2004, 11:07 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

The reasons this probably happens is because your heads are
diry (most probable cause is mixing tape brands which you usually
do NOT want to do. At least use a cleaning tape when you must
switch).

If the cleaning tape does not help you with your problem some-
thing might be wrong with your camera. Send it in to Canon.
You should still have warranty.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2004, 11:47 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I've worked on many different projects and my first rule is that I only use Panasonic tapes. My teacher in school would only accept this brand and the guy I bought my camera from ONLY sells this brand. I've never had a problem with my heads and I know this because I only use one brand. I buy 10 packs from pro-tape and a bulk discount gets me about $4.50 per tape. I show up with my own tapes and charge the client.

Try cleaning the heads with a $10 tape cleaner before sending it in though.
Kent Metschan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2004, 12:14 PM   #4
Major Player

I've never had a tape head problem either. I've only used Sony tapes on one camera, and Panasonics on another camera. I'm not sure if tape brands matter all that much, but I've never mixed brands on a camera, and haven't had a problem yet.
(knock on wood)

By the way, I get mine over at protape as well.
Too bad they moved way down south, kind of out of the way for me now since I'm up by the arboretum.

-Luis
Luis Caffesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2004, 02:07 PM   #5
Regular Crew

you guys are too kind. thanks for the suggestions and advice. Im about to order 100 tapes, so there will be no more "running to the store and getting whatever they have cause you need it NOW." Ill clean the heads tonite.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog