4x6 Filter in a 4x4 Lee Filter Video hood at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old July 26th, 2002, 05:42 PM   #1
New Boot

4x6 Filter in a 4x4 Lee Filter Video hood

Anyone use the Lee Video Hood for their XL1s? Have you tried using 4x6 filters in it? Also what adapter ring size are you using for your lenses?

I'm also thinking about getting a filter hood for my 35mm but they seem to only use the 2mm thick filters. But the Video Hood uses 4mm filters. Any way I can use the same filters in both?

If you want to know what I'm talking about check out this site.
http://www.leefiltersusa.com/
MrGranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2002, 11:30 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

See Don Bereube's review of the Lee box at www.dvinfo.net > Articles > DV Production Notes > The Making of "Exclusive", Part One: Affordable Matte Box & Filter Solution

Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2002, 10:57 AM   #3
New Boot

That is actually the article that pointed me to the Lee filters.

But it doesn't address whether or not the 4x6 filters fit into the 4x4 holders well.

I've email Don and he pointed out that for the XL1 16xII you need to special order the 89.1mm adapter ring. And for the 16x manual you'll need the 80.5mm adapter ring.

I'd still like to find out if there is a system for my 35mm so I can hold the 4mm thick filters. I don't want to buy all the filters twice if I don't have to.

Thanks.
Old July 28th, 2002, 05:38 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Don is a member here... let's try to get him to respond on the boards instead of private e-mail, so that everyone can benefit.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2002, 04:14 PM   #5
New Boot

Has anyone tried this?
Old August 15th, 2002, 11:19 PM   #6

Yes, you can use 4X6 filters too.

I recently used the LVH on the XL1S with the 16X manual/servo lens for a Canon shoot. I purchased the step up ring from Jesse Friend at Lee Filters. Basically, the outside diameter of the front of this lens is *approximately* 80.5mm. The step up ring I received fit a little loosely on the lens, so I had to use a strip of camera tape to make it fit snugly. Jesse will be working with me to see if they can modify their step up ring to fit tightly on this lens in the very near future.
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog