extremely portable HD location audio recorder?!? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old October 15th, 2002, 02:47 PM   #16
Major Player

chris
i do the exact same thing with any audio i record either MD or on my digital 8 track.burn it to my Tascam stand alone CD recorder(i recommend these to anyone looking for stand alone cd recorder they are built like tanks!) and drop into FCP.i had the recording equipment before my G4 so never really had the need for sound card with SPDIF using this method.

matt
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2002, 04:42 PM   #17
Major Player

Chris or Matt,
Does the Sony N707 have an optical out? I looked on Sony's site and their specs for the N707 are as follows:

-Inputs: DC In 3V, USB (mini-B), Optical Line In (stereo mini jack), Mic In (plug-in power, stereo-mini)
-Outputs: Headphones/Remote (stereo mini)

The site said nothing about and optical out on the player. If the optical in serves as an out port also that would be great and solve my all-digital problems. I could then use an SPDIF card to transfer through the optical out on my player and into my computer for editing. The reason I was hesitating on buying a MD was because I never thought they had an optical out. So, do they? Thanks so much!
Scott Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2002, 08:11 PM   #18
Major Player

scott
sorry to mislead you mith my info. i own the sony RZ-55 MD its a couple years old it only has optical in.im not sure of the newer models.Knowing sony they dont since they play a big role in this music piracy thing. i do know that the prosumer/pro sony,tascam MD recorders have digi ins&outs . i have to use the analog inputs of the tascam cd-recorder when recording audio from the MD line out.the AD/DA converters are excellent in the tascam and it also has a passthru feature for them.
i also use a roland vs880 digital multitrack. now this has both coax/optical outs so i use these usually coax for mixdown of voicovers etc. to cd directly into cd-recorder.the roland has built in mastering kit to get optimum levels to cd if needed.this too can be used for AD/DA also with all the fx and mixing capabilties recording straight to cd or to both the multitrack with a mix going out directly to cd .
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2002, 11:43 PM   #19
Regular Crew

For What It's Worth...

I, too, want to capture great digital audio without costing a fortune.

I just picked up a Mackie 1202VLZ Pro mixer ($350) and a ZOOM multitrack digital studio with cd burner ($850).

Did some research and found a veteran audio engineer that is now building a new line of microphones...(THE brand) but they were a little too pricey for me. Lucky for me, he has collaborated with an old established Russian microphone manufacturer under the name Oktava. He brings the mics into the U.S. and checks them out and matches them. These mics are very impressive when bought in matched stereo pairs! Two sets of preamps, two omni's, two cardioids, two hypercardioids and two large diaphragm LOMO heads... with the micro cables... and the shockmounts and pop filters ($2000).

Also picked up two EV lavs (slightly used, $150 on eBay), two AKG shotguns (slightly used, $400 on eBay), and six microphone stands ($140).

Top it off with a JoeMeek stereo compressor for colored compression ($200.00) and an RNC-1773 Really Nice Compressor (stereo) for transparent compression ($200)

So, I am into this for a little over $4K. It's abilities are priceless. Hell, if you're going to cough up $5K for a camera and a few accessories... $5K for a decent NLE... what's a few bucks for audio?

I don't have much experience with video, but I've had some audio experience. What this setup can do would have cost over $100,000 back in 1985.

I figure that audio is every bit... if not more... important than the video, itself. Capturing and preserving good sound, to me, is paramount. What is often forgotten... is the capture. Good microphones are VERY expensive. I know an engineer that has three tube mics that are worth more than $10K each. Yes, EACH.

If you have a good microphone, you have a decent chance of getting good sound. If you don't... the odds quickly change.

This setup can allow me to route the mics into the mixer, shape the sound, and send one stereo signal to the camera... and another to the hard disc recorder. I have full control over the audio, with a backup. My next acquisition will be a set of Sennheiser Evolution wireless systems.

I know this is overkill for most video projects, but my intent is to do audio-only production with it, as well.

Now all I have to do is learn the menu on that ZOOM recorder... grrrr...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog