MA-100 XLR audio adapter questions - Page 21 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 11th, 2007, 05:36 AM   #301
Regular Crew

Hi Jack,

The settings were as you wrote,
exept the bit setting was on 12 bit, not on 16.
Could that have made the difference?

By the way: I think I found a reason why I had so much noise.
I can't test that idea yet, as the mic is in use somewhere else at the moment.
But I found out the headphones volume was wide open for some reason.
I never filmed with the mic, as I thought the noise was terrible through the headphones.
But that might (?!) have been a reason.
Maybe if I would have filmed a few shots, it would have been better then I thought.
Right?

Thijo
Thijo van Beek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2007, 11:19 AM   #302
Major Player

The headphone volume would not having any affect the recorded sound.

I think if you had the audio 1 set to line as I had indicated in the previous post, that is the problem.The MA100 outputs MIC level.
I had made the same mistake.
Basically, the switch behind the door sets the input source and the menu sets the input level sensitivity.So setting the menu to LINE would be for a CD or vcr or line level from a mixer.(using RCAs)
Setting the menu to MIC is for the MA100 or other MIC level sources.
The MA100 will not accept a line level input.
Jack Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 03:29 AM   #303
Wrangler

As Jack says, the head phone level setting will not effect the recorded sound, either level or noise floor. However, it can effect the subjective impression of noise level, especially hiss. Using headphones make hiss much more apparent to a listener.

And Jack is spot on with respect to the MA-100. It is intended for mic level signals. Line level signals sent to the MA-100 will clip at about around -10 dB. The level range (MIC, MIC ATT, LINE) for the audio 1 and Audio 2 input is selected from the menu.

Using 12-bit vs. 16-bit would not have any effect on record level. It mainly effects frequency response (due to different sample rates) and perhaps a slight effects on distortion. 16-bit mode is better quality, but limits you to two recorded channels. 12-bit is approximately FM broadcast quality potential
Old May 29th, 2007, 07:46 AM   #304
Regular Crew

Canon XL1 MA-100 Audio Adapter

I have a Canon XL1 and have just bought Beyerdynamic M58 microphone for Interviews. I have a mini jack to XLR adapter which I plug in where the On camera mic goes and guess what it don't work. So I have been informed at I require and additional adapter.

I am also looking at the Canon MA-100
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...e_Adapter.html

My question is will this unit power my new mic?
Meaning will I get audio working correctly?

I have been really happy with the picture of this camera for the age of the camera and price but the audio has always been a problem.

So people will the Canon MA-100 adapter work?

Thanks
Simon Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 08:23 AM   #305
Trustee

my MA-100 works like a champ. It provides an XLR interface as well as phantom power. Should run whatever you throw at it. Although, I didn't design it, so I'm not the end all, be all authority on saidsame adaptor.
Old May 29th, 2007, 08:53 AM   #306
Regular Crew

Thanks for your reply Cole,

Just a quick question.

With the MA-100 there are 3 connection cables?
IE 1 red RCA, 1 white RCA (these are the actual audio cables?) and a small mini jack cable?

Is the small mini jack cable for Phantom power?

Is this how the microphone used is able to access power?

Sorry if these questions are really basic but I have just bought a good mic and I want to make sure it will work with this adapter.

Thanks
Simon
Old May 29th, 2007, 09:10 AM   #307
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole McDonald View Post
my MA-100 works like a champ. It provides an XLR interface as well as phantom power.
Sorry Cole, that's incorrect. The MA-100 DOES NOT provide phantom power. The little connector that plugs into the camera provides power for the pre-amp built into the MA-100.

So, whatever mic you plug in, must either be a dynamic, or one that can provide its own phantom power like the K6 module does on my Sennheiser ME66 shotgun.

Using wireless lavs would work okay.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 09:17 AM   #308
Regular Crew

Thanks also Greg,

Currently I will be using a Beyerdynamic M58 which according to the Product Information booklet it is a Dynamic Microphone.

So it should work fine with the MA-100 Adapter?

Thanks
Simon
Old May 29th, 2007, 09:22 AM   #309
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Duncan View Post
Thanks also Greg,

Currently I will be using a Beyerdynamic M58 which according to the Product Information booklet it is a Dynamic Microphone.

So it should work fine with the MA-100 Adapter?

Thanks
Simon
Yes, a dynamic mic will work fine as they do not require a power source.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 09:05 PM   #310
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post
Sorry Cole, that's incorrect. The MA-100 DOES NOT provide phantom power. The little connector that plugs into the camera provides power for the pre-amp built into the MA-100.

So, whatever mic you plug in, must either be a dynamic, or one that can provide its own phantom power like the K6 module does on my Sennheiser ME66 shotgun.

Using wireless lavs would work okay.

-gb-
I sit corrected. Good info, thank you.
Old May 31st, 2007, 06:45 AM   #311
Wrangler

A dynamic mic, such as the Bayerdynamic M58 should work OK with the MA100. BTW, the MA100 does provide about 6 dB gain, which will be helpful with dynamic mics (because they typically have lower output than condenser mics).

I am surprise that it did not work when plugged into the XL1 mic jack. It should have worked OK, but with lower audio level than the Canon stock mic. The adapter you had may not have been wired properly, or it was the wrong type of adapter.
Old June 1st, 2007, 02:23 PM   #312
Regular Crew

New gear and still no audio

OK so I am really totally confused now. I have a brand new Beyerdynamic Mic (Dynamic Mic) and a new Canon MA-100 adapter just arrived from B&H. Now when I connect the MA-100 to my camera - connect the 2 RCA audio cables and the 3rd small power cable to the camera - plug in my shiny new Beyerdynamic Mic I get no sound what's so even.

When I look in the cameras menu setup I have the following:
Sensor ... ON
Tally Lamp ...OFF
Audio Mode ... 16 bit
Audio 1 In ... ---
Audio 2 In ... ---
Rec Mode ... SP

So guys what am I doing wrong not to get any audio out of my shinny new gear.

Just to repeat I don't get any audio whatsoever.

I have tried opening the white flap on the camera and under the AUDIO 1/MIC
setting change the input select to MIC or ATT or AUDIO 1 and the only time I get any change in the camera menu setting is when I select AUDIO 1 the camera menu setting AUDIO 1 in ... LINE

Remember I am using a Canon XL1 but this should work.

Any help???
Old June 1st, 2007, 06:21 PM   #313
Major Player

Simon, if you are recording only from the Beyer mic, go into the menu ,vcr setup, set audio mode to 16 bit, go to audio 1 in and set to line,close the menu and open the audio door and set the audio 1/mic input to audio1.
make sure the ma100 is plugged in as you described( both RCAs and the MA100 power plug).That's it, it should work.
If your trying to do both the stock mic and the Beyer, it's a different process.
I see by your description
"When I look in the cameras menu setup I have the following:
Sensor ... ON
Tally Lamp ...OFF
Audio Mode ... 16 bit
Audio 1 In ... ---
Audio 2 In ... ---
Rec Mode ... SP"
the audio 1 is blank, so you have not set the audio1 in correctly.
Jack Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 07:10 PM   #314
Wrangler

A common issue for new users who have not studied the manual carefully.

To use the MA100 - connected it to the Audio 1 input jacks and the power jack.

You have to set the input select switch to Audio 1 (switch behind the door).

For this mic, you have to set the audio one input level (from the menu) to MIC (it defaults to line, which is about 45 dB less sensitive, and any audio from the mic would be very faint)

With only 1 mic connected the sound will probably be in the left (or right) channel only. You can pan the audio to both channels in post.
Old June 2nd, 2007, 04:56 AM   #315
Regular Crew

Hi Jack,

I have had success with your set-up but it works with setting the Audio 1 In to MIC rather than LINE.

I then close the menu and open up the white audio door on the camera and under AUDIO 1/MIC under Input Select I switch to Audio 1 and I get sound.

What is the difference between MIC and ATT? Since ATT sounds clearer.

Thanks for all your help. But the real lesson for me is READ THE GOD DAM MANUAL SIMON!
Simon Duncan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog