DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   How can I... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/29333-how-can-i.html)

Douglas Spotted Eagle July 20th, 2004 02:20 PM

How can I...

Start 4 XL1's and 2 GL2's all at the same time, using one button device?
I have a Lanc control, whatever Canon's part # is. I thought that I could just use a Y-cable for 2.5 mm and plug 2 2.5 cables into 2 cams, and start them both this way. If it worked, I'd have moved to 3 cams, etc, and if that worked, just built a splitter box that would trigger them all.
However, even using a Y cable won't start 2 cams.
I can't use the IR remotes, areas are too angled. Think of a column that has a ring of cameras around it, and that's effectively what I've got. So, it's got to be hardwired. I can get by with starting 4 XLs at once without the GLs for now, but would still like to figure this out.
Am I dense, or is it really not all that easy?

Andre De Clercq July 20th, 2004 03:41 PM

There are probably load (impedance) problems which lower the digital voltage values resulting in no communication. I would advise you to use your IR remote control and intercomnnect it by (cheap) plastic optical fiber. Bundle yr fibers at the RC and tape one on each cam IR receiver area.

Graham Bernard July 20th, 2004 04:04 PM

Spot - there was a natty way that a Guy on the XM2 forum had come up with and made his remote perform in the manner you wish - albeit with only One Cammie - but I can't see why you could not do this with a string of optic cables sending the IR sig to all simultaneously . . .. he even had drawings and stuff .. it was his way of producing a "cheap" alternative to a LANC .. neat concept .. The trouble you are gonna get is that each and every cammie will have their own "Start" profiles. It depends on your need for the exactness of the start .. yeah?

Can't you just get 'em started and resynch for the Start in post? Probably not, otherwise you would be doing that instead . . .

Grazie

Douglas Spotted Eagle July 20th, 2004 04:17 PM

It's a safety issue. Can't have a body down there, and by the time a body could get to each of the cams, the event is basically over. Bulls and bodies don't get along well. (rodeo event with VERY tight quarters)

Graham Bernard July 21st, 2004 12:11 AM

Dumb cameras . . CCTV .. ? No operators! With your knowledge you could really enhance the quality .. ? BNC them back to your "safe" monitor and record "Nest"! Nice project . . .

Grazie

Douglas Spotted Eagle July 21st, 2004 06:54 AM

Unfortunately, time is too short to locate them, it's a rural area, gotta go with what I've got. And what I've got is a handful of XL1s and GL2s, plus our LDK600s for walking interviews. I called around locally last night looking for optical fiber, couldn't find anyone in SLC that had any instock. I kinda think this is a dead end for the time being.

What's odd is I have 3 DSRVs and a VX cam, they all can start simultaneously with the Y cables.

Andre De Clercq July 21st, 2004 07:49 AM

I think, besides the potential impedance problems, it also depends how the LANC protocol is being implemented in a specific decvice. Lanc is anormally an open drain (collector) bidirectional communication concept. Only if the bidirectional part of the protocol (data acknowledge, counter info return,..)is being left out in the receiving device a y-cable solution could work.

Douglas Spotted Eagle July 21st, 2004 08:20 AM

Which is why I thought that splitting the signal would work. The Canon ZR 1000 doesn't accept any return...it's just a one way send of information. It starts/stops all the Sony units just fine. Only the Canon cams won't function this way.