Grey Market XL1's-PLEASE HELP!!!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old July 30th, 2002, 06:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Grey Market XL1's-PLEASE HELP!!!!

Hello All,

Sorry if this has already been discussed (I'm a newbee), but has anyone ever bought a grey market Canon XL1? Good idea? Bad idea? Please let me know what your experience was with grey market cameras? I am looking to buy an XL1 and am wary of used equipment, but I have also heard some grey market horror stories! I am looking for a little guidance, please feel free to email me privately at PhillyFilm@yahoo.com or post here. Thank you all so much for your help!
SL
SammyLeopold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2002, 06:47 PM   #2
Warden

Hi,

Everthing pretty much applies to the XL1 as to the other thread on the Sony' that you posted to, with one big exception. Some really great places to purchase an XL1 and not get ripped off. Canon USA has a great XL1 Owners Club http://www.canondv.com/xl1owners/index.html This club is only available in the US and grey market cameras need not apply, no coverage. You might ask how would Canon know grey market from Official US product? Easy, they track all the serial numbers and you have to supply the serial number to join.

If your West Coast based try Zotz Digital http://www.zotzdigital.com/ or East Coast try ZGC http://www.zgc.com/ and Pro Tape http://www.pro-tape.com/index.html for the middle. It is very easy to get ripped off or mislead about products and services. Read the many posts here and find about the products performence in the real world. The above dealers help sponsor this site and help make the info available. Give them a try, their service and expert knowledge won't disapoint you.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2002, 06:52 PM   #3
Wrangler

And for cryin' out loud, stay away from Ebay! You probably have a 50-50 chance of getting ripped off.
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2002, 09:14 PM   #4

Sammy,

How much are you expecting to spend?
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2002, 05:09 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Well, I found someone in Madrid Spain who has one he says is brand new, never opened for $2000. He also says that I can return it within 10 days if I am unsatisfied. Needless to say I am a bit wary (which I know should help me make my decision). I wasjust wondering if you all think the camera will be a piece of junk being from Spain and not made for US? Also do you know if the XL1 is able to change languages in the menus?

Thanks!
-SL
SammyLeopold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2002, 05:25 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Dylan:

Is ebay.com really that bad? I am trying to get the 14x lens there and since I purchased some other items there, too, without any trouble (although I got them from ebay-Germany) I had no concerns about getting ripped off, but now...

What negative experience did you have? I understand that there are some retailers or "professional" sellers on ebay, who I do not exactly trust, neither, but the private sellers seem to be okay or am I wrong?

Cheers, Peter
Old July 31st, 2002, 05:27 AM   #7

You can buy an XL1s from Broadway Photo for $2,200! Well worth the extra $200 not to get screwed. Visit site at:

http://bwayphoto.com/product.asp?item=cnxl1s2
Old July 31st, 2002, 05:28 AM   #8
Warden

Let's see, send $2,000 to Spain, to buy a camera I've never seen, from a guy I've never meet. If the money doesn't mean that much to you and you can still sleep after spending $2,000 for a box of rocks, I'd go for it. All kidding aside, I would pass. A foreign transaction like that could be a potential nightmare. Too risky for me.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2002, 06:01 AM   #9
Capt. Quirk

BAD DOG! BAD! Broadway is one of the places to avoid! They gave me a great deal, until I was placing the order. Then all of the stuff that came with the XL1s became add ons. Including the warranty. The price almost doubled. STAY AWAY!

As far as Ebay, I've had very few bad experiences, only one comes to mind. You have almost a better chance there than at Broadway.
Keith
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2002, 06:04 AM   #10

I understand everything you're saying with the exception of the warranty issue. How can they charge you for the warranty, which comes from Canon?
Old July 31st, 2002, 06:38 AM   #11

I see now. Went online and read 19 reviews on Broadway Photo. They are selling "Gray Market" stuff, hence the great prices and no warranty! Thanks for raising the flag on Broadway Photo, Keith!
Old July 31st, 2002, 10:42 AM   #12
_redone_

I bought a xl1 for 2000...found it in the classifieds...great condition...
plus you get the opportunity to go check out the camera first, plus maybe
work together a signed contract stating that yourself bought the camera
from a private party under specified conditions.

I would be weary about buying equipment through the mail from private parties.
www.eatdrinkmedia.com
Adam Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2002, 12:05 PM   #13
Capt. Quirk

You can buy an extended warranty from Canon, which is what scum like Broadway are doing.
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2002, 03:32 PM   #14
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by SammyLeopold : Well, I found someone in Madrid Spain who has one he says is brand new, never opened for $2000. He also says that I can return it within 10 days if I am unsatisfied. Needless to say I am a bit wary (which I know should help me make my decision). I wasjust wondering if you all think the camera will be a piece of junk being from Spain and not made for US? Also do you know if the XL1 is able to change languages in the menus?

Thanks!
-SL -->>>

Unless you can pick up the camera from him in person, just send the money to me and I'll spend it on blow and hookers, or maybe take it down to the racetrack and put it on a horse called "gimpy". ;) You get my point. Sorry to dissapoint, but it's probably a scam.

I'm going to post a warning about buyng stuff on Ebay, or anywhere else. PLEASE read it. It'll save you $2000.
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2002, 04:21 PM   #15
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Peter Koller : Dylan:

Is ebay.com really that bad? I am trying to get the 14x lens there and since I purchased some other items there, too, without any trouble (although I got them from ebay-Germany) I had no concerns about getting ripped off, but now...

What negative experience did you have? I understand that there are some retailers or "professional" sellers on ebay, who I do not exactly trust, neither, but the private sellers seem to be okay or am I wrong?

Cheers, Peter -->>>

Ebay is trying to keep the major rip-off artists out of there. It's a lot better right now than it was a few months ago. I remember at one point I was looking at XL1's and easily about 30% were obviously scams.

I've only been ripped off twice, but only on smaller items. Everyone probably has by now.
Anyway... I don't send money orders and I don't use Western Union or any other kind of cash transfer. If they don't take credit cards, Paypal, or Billpoint, or live in my city, I won't even bid.
Read my post on what signs to look for.
Private sellers are usualy more risky than pro sellers, since the pro sellers want to continue to do business on Ebay, and usualy have a reputation built up. Personal accounts linked to a hotmail address are untraceable. If they really want, they can take your money and walk away. I'd almost never buy anything from someone with zero feedback.

E-mail me the link to the auction you are looking at and I'll give you some feedback on it.
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog