DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   rain, water, cold and the xl1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/294-rain-water-cold-xl1.html)

Rob Lohman November 7th, 2001 05:08 AM

rain, water, cold and the xl1

I know there are protective covers for rain and
underwater housings for the camera. But how
about cold? I live in a country where temperatures
can drop quite low and I was wondering if there
is a "keep-em-warm" kind of case/cover for the
XL1?!?

One other thing.. most of these cases/cover
have a glass window (especially underwater)
for the XL1 to look out from... Does it matter
how good these "windows" are? If so, where
do they sell good one?

Thanks for any help, info or suggestions!

Ed Frazier November 7th, 2001 06:23 AM

Polar Bear Heated Case

Hi Rob,

Porta-Brace (www.portabrace.com) makes an insulated and heated case for the XL1. It is called the Polar Bear and they claim it has been tested at minus 50 degrees F.

Someone else will have to comment on your glass question, but I would assume that if the enclosure uses a glass piece in front of the lens, it would make a big difference if that glass was of inferior quality.

Ed

Chris Hurd November 7th, 2001 07:22 AM

See this website:

http://www.videosealskins.com/

The Video Sealskin is made for XL1 cold weather use. It has a couple of internal pockets which hold standard hand-warmer packets, available from any camping supplier.

I've used the Sealskin and can recommend it. Only thing is, it rarely gets cold here in Texas. So I haven't exactly tried it out in adverse Artic conditions.

Nathan Gifford bought mine... hopefully he'll put in his two cents about it.

Ed Frazier November 7th, 2001 07:42 AM

Hi Chris,

I wish I had known about this product (Video Sealskins) a week ago. I ordered the PortaBrace Rain Slicker with my new XL1S because they are now making one that will cover the MA200. The only similar item I had found was from Kata.

A couple of questions:

How well do you think the Sealskin would keep out dust. My problem here in Southern NM is blowing dust, not rain.

How easy is it to change a tape with the cover in place. I don't see in their pictures any opening in the tape transport area.

Thanks,
Ed

Chris Hurd November 7th, 2001 07:52 AM

Hi Ed,

Not to worry as both PortaBrace and Kata make excellent products. I'm sure you'll be very happy with your Rain Slicker.

As I recall on the SealSkin, there are two zippers running the length of the camera along the bottom, one on the left and one on the right. To change a tape involves unzipping the right side and going up from underneath. A little tricky since the tape door opens from the top, but guaranteed to keep the dust and rain out of the transport.

Any of the rain slickers... PortaBrace, Kata, Sealskin... will be very effective at keeping out dust... which is a huge problem here in Texas.

John Locke November 12th, 2001 07:47 AM

SealSkin

Two questions...

1. Regarding temperature, how low is too low for the XL-1?

2. Does the Sealskin have enough room for the MA-100 with the dual battery holder? And does it have a slot at the hotshoe to allow attaching a light?

Thanks. Temperature's dropping fast here in Seoul. This will be my first winter of shooting since I bought my XL-1.

Adrian Douglas November 12th, 2001 08:09 AM

John,

I've shot with my XL1 in down to -8. It didn't affect the camera performance but battery performance pretty much sucked. the BP 927's I had lasted about 20 minutes, so keep those buggars warm.

John Locke November 12th, 2001 08:30 AM

Hmmm...how to keep batteries warm...I'm imagining some pretty uncomfortable scenarios. Better invest in a hand warmer instead, I guess.

Adrian, do you mean -8°F or -8°C?

Adrian Douglas November 13th, 2001 03:21 AM

Celsius mate, so about 24ishF .Wetsuit neoprene works well for keeping battries warm and is also water resistant. Use 5-7mm the trick is finding someone to sew it.