AudioTechnica AT815B and Canon Xl1s? Suggestions? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old July 27th, 2004, 10:25 AM   #1
Tourist

AudioTechnica AT815B and Canon Xl1s? Suggestions?

Hi.

I am looking to upgrade my audio capture with the CanonXL1S.

I would like to get an AT815B Shotgun Mic. What do I need to mount this to the XL1S?

Also, is there a cable that will alow this to just plug in to the stereo mic jack where the current stereo mic is? (even though it's not stereo) or do I need something like the MA100?

or should I just leave the current mic where it is, get an MA100, and place the boom mic on a stand away from the camera?
David Rinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2004, 10:44 AM   #2
Major Player

I just got an 815. I have an 835b and LOVE it. The 815 I got specifically for longer directional shots. It supposedly echoes in smaller rooms. Not so sure about that. I'd recommend the 835b first and then the 815... I definitely used the 835 in all situations and it did good.
Josh Brusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2004, 10:58 AM   #3
Tourist

Can I connect the 835 straight in to the camera, or do I need the MA100?
David Rinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2004, 11:03 AM   #4
Trustee

You can, with an XLR to RCA adaptor. On short distances, like mounting to microphone on the camera, you should not have any problem with this setup. But to put the mic on a stand (which is a good idea since you will get better audio if you put the mic closer to the source) you will need an MA-100 or other third party XLR adaptor to take advantage of the BALANCED XLR connection.
Old July 29th, 2004, 03:41 PM   #5
Major Player

I have an ma100 that I'm not using if you're interested email me with an offer...
Josh
Josh Brusin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog