DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   XL1 no EVF display (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/30165-xl1-no-evf-display.html)

Guest August 6th, 2004 01:56 AM

XL1 no EVF display

i have a feeling this will be a costly matter, but perhaps there is a way before i send my poor camera to repair, i cant see the evf display nore can i control the iris, gain or white balance.... could this be a software failior, if so can i refresh this? thanks,

Rob Lohman August 6th, 2004 06:26 AM

First the following:

1. HOW do you know those controls are not working when the viewfinder is not working? In what shooting mode are you? Since a lot of those controls will NOT do ANYTHING in most of the automatic modes!!

2. Are you sure the viewfinder cable is correctly attached? What happens if you hit the button to cycle through the viewfinder modes?

If this still gives you nothing I would do the following:

1. dissamble the camera completely (as you got it when it was bought, including removing the lens etc.)

2. now remove the backup battery at the bottom of the camera and the normal battery

3. leave it like this for half a day or so and then re-assemble everything

Do all of this carefully. If this does not help then it might be time
to send the camera to Canon indeed. I would phone them first
to get the lowdown on how this should be done etc.

Keep in mind that this process will erase your current settings
as date, time, custom presets etc.

Guest August 6th, 2004 07:09 AM

thx

Dear Rob Lohman

Thank you very much for your reply, have not slept much the previous night, the viewfinder does work however the menu display showing the iris, gain and so on, on the right hand side is not visable nor operational, so i can only use the camera on it's automatic features, not manual, I shall dissmount the camera off it's batteries and pieces as you recomend and hope for the best, many thanks. Fabrice

Rob Lohman August 7th, 2004 04:02 AM

I'm not sure where you find iris or gain in the menu. Iris can be
controlled by the little wheel on the left side of the camera and
gain is one of the popout knobs also on the left side of the cam.

Keep in mind you CANNOT change these if you have the camera
operating in fully automatic (green box) mode.

If your problems persist, please describe as detailed as possible
what you are doing EXACTLY, step for step. Including in what
shooting mode the camera is in.

Don Palomaki August 7th, 2004 04:58 AM

Do you see any operating information or icons in the viewfinder; e.g., time code, battery power status, etc. or just the video image?

Guest August 7th, 2004 06:06 AM

knock

thanks Rob & Don

in fact I might have dicovered the cause, my friend had knocked the camera slightly whilst i was away, I see in the view finder only the battery power and time code (right side) all whats usually on the left side such as the gain and shutter is gone nor can not be controled with the shutter buttons or wheels of iris and gain, i presume it's either a circit problem or software, and dont this there is anyway to refresh the software and if i'll open the cam would probably not know what to do since there are no technician manuals available on teh net either...

many thanks for your help and concern, perhaps, might have to go to the graveyard and work hard to afford the XL2 thats coming out

Rob Lohman August 9th, 2004 02:12 AM

It just sounds like your friend hit the button that cycles through
the different viewfinder modes and shows different sets of
information.

You still have not explained WHY you can't changes those settings
and how you know they aren't changed. You've also not
explained in what modes you are shooting.

The XL1(S) is not software-upgradable and can neither be
serviced by consumers like you and me. If something is really
wrong (which I'm still not convinced of with your information)
the camera must be send to Canon for service and repair.

Don Palomaki August 9th, 2004 03:34 AM

As Rob notes, try pressing the EVF Display button. That some of the display information shows indicates that the display circuits are working.

Guest August 13th, 2004 07:40 PM

many thanks, have sent it for repair

Greg Boston August 21st, 2004 11:37 PM

1. HOW do you know those controls are not working when the viewfinder is not working?

Rob,

Although he didn't say so specifically, one can tell whether the iris and aperture controls are changing by viewing them on the LCD on the side of the camera. Of course, he has to be out of green box mode for the controls to operate, but I gather from reading his post that he was operating in manual mode.

I'm thinking that it was a viewfinder mode issue. Hopefully, he will update us on what Canon finds wrong with the camera.

regards,