XL1s lens failure? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old August 8th, 2004, 02:15 AM   #1
New Boot

XL1s lens failure?

Hi, I have an XL1s less than a month old with what appears to be a complete failure of the 16x standard lens. The zoom and the auto focus do not operate, but the ND filter switches in if selected, I have an image, but it is blurred.

The camera operates correctly with the Optex Nikon to XL1 adaptor and the metering in manual also gives good readings. Somewhere I read about electrical contact problems with the XL1s lenses, but I would have thought the camera too new, (30 minutes use), for this to be an issue.

Before I send the camera back to the dealer, have I missed the obvious? Any help would be appreciated.
Chris Gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2004, 06:06 AM   #2
New Boot

Similar problems have occured on Canon EF lens and a few have been caused by dirty contacts - the recommendation I have seen is to carefully clean both sets of contacts with a soft pencil eraser (cleaning of any residue with a soft brush) . It might be worth trying this before returning the lens although they should not be dirty after such a short time.
Best of luck
John Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2004, 07:07 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I have had this happen twice on two different cameras. The store has exchanged the whole set up twice. I found though it was not the actual lens that was giving the error but the body itself. I tried the suspect lens on my other camera and it worked fine. It was an intermittent fault and would work sometimes and then not others. The store exchanged the faulty stuff straight away. I suggest you go back to the store and get it swapped.
Carl Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2004, 11:41 AM   #4
New Boot

Thanks for the advice, I will give the contacts a clean and if no joy it will be returned for exchange.
Chris Gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2004, 09:28 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Just a note, not saying this is the case in this particular situation, but always be sure to turn the camera off before removing the lens. Otherwise, powered contacts will cross which shouldn't, and you'll risk shorting out some or all functions. A trip to factory service is then neccessary.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2004, 05:59 AM   #6
New Boot

Chris,

Thanks for the tip. I read the warning in the manual so did not do it, however, it's worth repeating.

The camera is now with Canon UK for test and report; not for too long I hope.

Thanks.
Chris Gaston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog