Need a Lens and filter tutorial at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old August 5th, 2002, 03:36 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Need a Lens and filter tutorial

Hi Gang,

Listen I could really use a lens and filter tutorial! I found this on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?viewItem&item=1370987508#descr

My background is in broadcast and I am just starting out on my own and am new to the entire digital thing. Needless to say funds are tight and this looks like I can get some optics options and filters for a decent price.

My questions:
1) Are these lenses junk and am I wasting my money?

2) Same about the filters and do I need them or will I notice no difference if I do not have filters?

Sorry to keep bugging you all with subject matter that is probably way behind where you all are but as I mentioned I am kind of new to this and I am worried about having what I need and not getting screwed while trying to get it! This neophyte appreciates all of your help and patience!

Thanks again!
-SL
SammyLeopold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2002, 07:55 PM   #2
Warden

Everything you see there is crap. A big waste of money. The tripod is so cheap I'd be afraid to have my XL1 on it in a slight breeze. You don't need a set of close-up filters, they are useless. Video lenses focus very, very, close. How about $20 for 5 Q-tips, a cheap plastic blower, 5 pieces of lens tissue and an ounce of ?mystery? fluid. Don't waste your money.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2002, 08:04 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Without going too far off-topic, my own suggestion is to put Ebay out of your mind when shopping for these kinds of accessories. I use Ebay only for collectibles or hard-to-find items... I collect out-of-print books from a certain author, and certain older 8mm and Super-8mm film cameras and projectors. I wouldn't think of buying from Ebay, a seller's market, the type of goods any one of our authorized DV Info Net sponsors would have at better quality and good prices already. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2002, 09:09 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the advice guys! But Jeff you bring up a very good point and of course ANOTHER question, tripods? What should I look for and what do I need? I really cannot afford a $600 tripod right now. I was thinking more along the lines of this

http://www02.bhphotovideo.com/default.sph/FrameWork.class?FNC=ProductActivator__Aproductlist_html___243272___DAPVT75
___REG___CatID=3949___SID=EFB404B7170

Thanks for saving me $200! You guys are the best!

-SL
SammyLeopold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2002, 09:19 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

The B&H link points to a Davis & Sanford tripod, which is distributed by Tiffen. It's probably a fine set of sticks for the money. However, discussion of tripods falls outside of the XL1 Lens & Optics topics that this forum is structured for, so you might want to slide on over to the XL1 General Topics forum and browse through the numerous threads and posts about tripods that are already there. Consider also the Matthews-Libec tripods from our sponsor Zotz Digital; see a review of the TH-M20 in the GL2 forum at http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2998 -- hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2002, 11:33 PM   #6
Wrangler

I was going to poo-poo the auction you were looking at, at first. But really, it all depends what you are going to be using it for. If you are using your video camera to shoot home movies, kids birthdays, Aunt Petunia's piano recital, or uh, 'romantic inerludes' with your significant other, this kit is probably fine.

However, if you plan on doing anything serious or semi-professional with your camera, skip this load of crap completely.

In life, when you buy something new you generaly get what you pay for.
On Ebay, when you buy something new, you generaly get an item that's worth about 1/3rd of what you payed.
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2002, 06:08 AM   #7
Wrangler

I agree. It looks like low end gear, especially the tripod and lens cleaning kit. The limited amount of Sakar (is that pronounced sucker? <g>) stuff I've seen in the past (mainly photo gear) was best described as slightly overpriced low value and low quality witrh poor finish. As Jeff notes, maybe they are very good Q-tips.

And by the way what is/does
> Nigt Vision High Resolution
> Super digital Crystal Optics
(the descriptors used on the wide angle adapter) mean anyway?

In my younger days I fell for these kinds of deals a couple times, and learned that they generally were not worth the price. I ended up buying better gear a short time later. In any case it certainly not a good investment for anyone with XL1 level gear.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2002, 07:08 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Once again, I have to say THANK YOU!!!!! I think I am going to take all the money you guys have saved in the past two weeks and but a bunch of beer and have you all over for a party! Thanks again! You guys are THE best!

-SL
SammyLeopold is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog