DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   question about using 2 mics (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/30598-question-about-using-2-mics.html)

Arthur Marcinek August 16th, 2004 01:25 PM

question about using 2 mics

I'm using the XL1. I recently bought a shotgun mic, the AT 897, and I also bought a beachtek adaptor 4c to connect the mic to the camera.
What I want to do is use both the on-board mic that comes with the camera and include the shotgun, which is going through the adaptor.
I'd like to have the shotgun on the R channel, and the on board on the L channel. I'm aware I have to set the audio setting to 2, 12 bit, as opposed to 1, 16 bit.
I can't seem to seem to get it right. How do I do this?

Help is appreciated.

Thanks

Arthur

Don Palomaki August 16th, 2004 07:58 PM

The standard XL1 mic is stereo, and if connected to the MIC input, it feeds both channels and draws power from teh small plug on its cord. It would take s special adapter to make it feed only the one channel.

Since you are planning on using 12-but, 4 channel mode, you can let the onbaord mic record stereo to the Audio 1 input, and the shotgun record to either channel on the Audio 2 inputs. You could then combine the Audio 1 into one channel in post, and use the shotgun channel from the audio 2 as you want.

Arthur Marcinek August 17th, 2004 07:43 AM

Don,

It did work in the sense that both mics are operational and record sound, which is what I wanted, but when I captured it on Premiere, it recorded as 1 audio channel, in this case labeled audio 3. It didn't record separately. How do I separate the channels?

Don Palomaki August 17th, 2004 07:21 PM

Firewire capture, if you have the right drivers, should capture all four channels, but if and how depends on the specific capture system and drivers you are using.

My system captures the audio from 12-bit/4-channel recording as four separate .WAV files, one for each channel. The video is in a separate file as well.

Some systems may capture the Audio1 as part of the AVI file and Audio2 as a spearate stereo .WAV file. And ther are other possible variations.

Thus anything I say at this point would be speculation because I do not know your system.

Jack Smith August 17th, 2004 10:10 PM

What system are you using Don?

Don Palomaki August 18th, 2004 04:47 AM

DV.now AV, and Premiere 6.5 was developed by FAST, bought out by Dazzle, and killed off. Rights were eventuallybought by Pinnacle. Am slowly migrating to Liquid Edition after I finish a couple projects.

Arthur Marcinek August 18th, 2004 01:48 PM

I've tried out movie capture a few times on Premiere 6.5, with the same result. 1 AVI file which contains 1 video and 1 audio track.

Does it have something to do with the Project Settings that load up when you first open Premiere? I select NTSC Standard 32kHz, however, after it captures, when I look at properties it is still in 16 bit. How does that relate to 12 bit?

You mention audio drivers...I have a SiS 7012 audio card with same drivers and Legacy drivers. Maybe I should try something else. I don't know if this helps.

Maybe it's the software? Premiere 6.5?

Arthur Marcinek August 18th, 2004 02:01 PM

Do I have to buy a special capture card, or external firewire capture device? Is this essential and I just didn't know? :)

If that is the case, then perhaps its time to buy a new computer, since this is a laptop which was never intended to be for editing.

What do you think Don?

Jean-Philippe Archibald August 18th, 2004 02:01 PM

As far as I know, Premiere, like any other NLE software on PC (don't know for FCP) can't capture audio 2 (or channels 3 and 4). You can try Scenalizer Live to capture your footage as an AVI file containing video and audio 1 and a WAV file cantaining audio 2. You can then import these files into Premiere for editing.

Hope this help,

Don Palomaki August 18th, 2004 07:02 PM

Some NLE do capture 4-channel audio, e.g., Liquid Edition. It is a matter of the capture drivers in the NLE system. Some also convert the 12-bit to 16-bit during the capture, if they are capable of it and so configured. To my knoledge, Premiere 6.5 out of the box with generic MS Firewire drivers does not capture 4-channel. It does with appropriate capture driver support. Not sure how Premiere Pro works with 4-channel audio streams over firewire.

Dedicated, higher end, capture cards designed for video often provide benefits in terms of video processing capability. Worth getting if you do a lot of video editing.

What you can do as a work-around if this is a rush job, or a one-time deal, is capture the Audio2 output using the analog capture capability of your sound card and synch the sound in post. Usually best to set your sound card for 16-bit, 48KHz sound in that case. If 4-channel is a common mode, get a 4-channel capable capture utility or NLE.

Daniel Patton July 5th, 2005 12:28 PM

Running into this issue of no audio 2 capture while using Premiere Pro 1.5, does anyone know if the version 1.5 can see that second audio during capture? Or am I looking at doing this in post still?